Liquidity and Control : A Dynamic Theory of Corporate Ownership Structure
AbstractThe paper develops a theory of ownership structure based on the notion that corporate control and secondary market liquidity are not perfectly compatible with each other. We analyse the tradeoff between these two objectives for two different ownership structures: the privately held firm, which is characterised by restricted trading opportunities for owners and non-anonymous trading, and the publicly traded firm where trading opportunities are unrestricted and trading is anonymous. We develop pricing formulas for each structure, compare these with each other, and derive predictions for optimal ownership design, depending on the institutional structure of the capital market.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP in its series Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) with number 9712.
Length: 43 pages
Date of creation: Jul 1997
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics, vol. 154, No 1, March 199
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP, Internef, CH-1015 Lausanne
Phone: ++41 21 692.33.64
Fax: ++41 21 692.33.05
Web page: http://www.hec.unil.ch/deep/publications/cahiers/series
More information through EDIRC
corporate control; liquidity; corporate governance; ownership structure;
Other versions of this item:
- Patrick Bolton & Ernst-Ludwig von Thadden, 1998. "Liquidity and Control: A Dynamic Theory of Corporate Ownership Structure," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 154(1), pages 177-, March.
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Constant Djama & Isabelle Martinez & Stéphanie Serve, 2012. "What do we know about delistings? A survey of the literature," Post-Print hal-00937899, HAL.
- Kandel, Eugene & Massa, Massimo & Simonov, Andrei, 2011. "Do small shareholders count?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(3), pages 641-665, September.
- Constant Djama & Isabelle Martinez & Stéphanie Serve, 2012. "What do we know about delistings? A survey of the literature," THEMA Working Papers 2012-38, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Réal Labelle & Alain Schatt, 2005. "Structure de propriété et communication financière des entreprises françaises;Ownership Structure and Corporate Disclosures:The French Case," Working Papers CREGO 1050701, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- Réal Labelle & Alain Schatt, 2003.
"Structure de propriété et communication financière des entreprises françaises,"
- Réal Labelle & Alain Schatt, 2005. "Structure de propriété et communication financière des entreprises françaises," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 8(3), pages 77-104, September.
- Lammertjan Dam & Bert Scholtens, 2013. "Ownership Concentration and CSR Policy of European Multinational Enterprises," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 118(1), pages 117-126, November.
- Goergen, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R. & Khurshed, A., 2004. "Shareholder Lockup Agreements in the European New Markets," Discussion Paper 2004-121, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Goergen, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 1999. "Prediction of Ownership and Control Concentration in German and UK Initial Public Offerings," Discussion Paper 1999-103, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Gaspar, Jose-Miguel & Massa, Massimo, 2007. "Local ownership as private information: Evidence on the monitoring-liquidity trade-off," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 751-792, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudine Delapierre Saudan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.