Qualitative methods of structural analysis: Layer-based methods are informationally trivial
AbstractSome methods of qualitative structural analysis, as MFA, are based on the analysis of layers (flow matrices generated at each iteration when the equilibrium of an input-output model is computed). MFA mixes the analysis of the pure structure of production (the technical coefficients) and of the final demand. I have demonstrated that all column-coefficient matrices (or row-coefficient matrices) computed from each layer are the same in MFA: the information brought by one layer is identical to those of another layer. For a given structure of production, the only element of variability over layers is caused by the flows that final demand generates.If the new definition of layers proposed by the creators of MFA is adopted, the method becomes similar to a quantitative method of structural analysis.. Keywords :Boolean ; Structural Analysis ; Qualitative ; QIOA ; MFA..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS UMR 5118, Université de Bourgogne in its series LATEC - Document de travail - Economie (1991-2003) with number 2000-06.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Pôle d'Economie et de Gestion - 2, bd Gabriel - BP 26611 - F-21066 Dijon cedex - France
Phone: 03 80 39 54 30
Fax: 03 80 39 54 43
Web page: http://www.leg.u-bourgogne.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C67 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Input-Output Models
- D57 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Input-Output Tables and Analysis
- R15 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Econometric and Input-Output Models; Other Methods
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- MESNARD, Louis de, 1998. "On boolean topological methods of structural analysis," LATEC - Document de travail - Economie (1991-2003) 9802, LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS UMR 5118, Université de Bourgogne.
- Holub, H. W. & Schnabl, H., 1985. "Qualitative input-output analysis and structural information," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 67-73, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Odile Ferry).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.