Controlled-by-owner Firms, Mobility of Capital and Microeconomic Profit Rate Maximization
AbstractWhen they actively control the firm, owners select the firm that has the best profit rate if the hypothesis of mobility of capital is adopted: controlled-by-owner firms are profit-rate-maximizing when sleeping-owner firms are pure-profit-maximizing. Both types are compared in monopoly, in perfect competition, in classical or in mixed duopoly. Always, controlled-by-owner firms have a lower output than comparable sleeping-owner firms. It only takes a fixed coefficient of equity capital to do that price plays no role for controlled-by-owner firms in perfect competition; in duopoly, it only takes a similar condition plus a linear demand to do that reaction functions vanish. and supply driven models) and the effect of an exogenous factor (final demand or added-value). The note recalls that another method is possible, the comparison of the stability of technical and allocation coefficients, generalized by the biproportional filter: if for a sector, after biproportional filtering, column coefficients are more stable than row coefficients, then this sector is declared as not supply-driven (but one cannot decide that it is demand-driven anyway), and conversely...
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS UMR 5118, Université de Bourgogne in its series LATEC - Document de travail - Economie (1991-2003) with number 9901.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: Mar 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Pôle d'Economie et de Gestion - 2, bd Gabriel - BP 26611 - F-21066 Dijon cedex - France
Phone: 03 80 39 54 30
Fax: 03 80 39 54 43
Web page: http://www.leg.u-bourgogne.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Profit Rate; Firm; Control; Coordination; Objective;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L21 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Business Objectives of the Firm
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- D41 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Perfect Competition
- D42 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Monopoly
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Odile Ferry).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.