On The Recent Extension Of Price And Production Statistics To Health And Education
AbstractThe paper pertains to the recent extension of price and production statistics to health, social assistance services and education. In the first part, it is underlined that using net prices instead of gross prices, as it has been decided for the European harmonised consumer price index, is inaccurate. The index is thus partly hybrid and inconsistent. The second part explains why, even if quality is a significant issue, production measures should not rely on the user’s changes of condition. It should rather be based on supplied quality. The paper then describes and discusses two complementary ways to estimate quality changes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg in its series Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center with number 2005-01.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 61, Avenue de la Forêt Noire, F-67085 Strasbourg Cedex
Phone: (33) 3 90 41 41 30
Fax: (33) 3 90 41 40 50
Web page: http://ifs.unistra.fr/large
More information through EDIRC
MEASUREMENT; OUTPUT; QUALITY; PRICE INDEX.;
Other versions of this item:
- Damien Broussolle, 2006. "On the recent extension of price and production statistics to health and education," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(3), pages 347-360, April.
- L89 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Other
- E23 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Production
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- François Magnien & Jacques Pougnard, 2000. "Les indices à utilité constante : une référence pour mesurer l'évolution des prix," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 335(1), pages 81-94.
- Wolfgang Buchwald & Alain Saglio, 1994. "Des indices de prix à la consommation plus comparables entre la France et la RFA," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 275(1), pages 9-23.
- Hill, T P, 1977. "On Goods and Services," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 23(4), pages 315-38, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe J. Godlewski).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.