On the Backwardness in Macroeconomic Performance of European Socialist Economies
AbstractThis paper aims to compare the macroeconomic performance of three European socialist economies (Hungary, Poland, Yugoslavia) with developing and developed countries during the eighties. Using panel data for 87 countries, we measure macroeconomic performance with two frontier efficiency techniques: the stochastic frontier approach, and the time-varying WITHIN model proposed by Cornwell, Schmidt and Sickles (1990). We conclude in favor of the underperformance of socialist countries in relation to developed countries but also to developing countries, which may be explained by the features of the socialist economic system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg (France) in its series Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center with number 2004-06.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 61, Avenue de la Forêt Noire, F-67085 Strasbourg Cedex
Phone: (33) 3 90 41 41 30
Fax: (33) 3 90 41 40 50
Web page: http://ifs.unistra.fr/large/
More information through EDIRC
Productivity analysis; socialist system; stochastic frontier approach; growth.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- O4 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity
- P20 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Whitesell, Robert S, 1985. "The Influence of Central Planning on the Economic Slowdown in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe: A Comparative Production Function Analysis," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 52(206), pages 235-44, May.
- Robert S Whitesell, 1994. "Industrial Growth and Efficiency in the United States and the Former Soviet Union," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(4), pages 47-77, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe J. Godlewski).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.