A New Test for Rational Speculative Bubbles using Forward Exchange Rates: The Case of the Interwar German Hyperinflation
AbstractThe probabilistic structure of periodically collapsing bubbles implies different values for the slope coefficient of alternative efficient market hypothesis tests depending on whether the bubble is in an explosive regime or not. We exploit this fact and propose a new method for bubble detection. The method does not require the specification of the process followed by fundamentals, it is not affected by a possible explosive root of the determinants of the asset price, and provides a date-stamping strategy. We analyze the Reichsmark/Dollar exchange rate for the interwar German hyperinflation period and identify periods of rational exuberance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department in its series Working Papers with number 18599597.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Flood, Robert P & Garber, Peter M, 1980. "An Economic Theory of Monetary Reform," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 24-58, February.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Yangru Wu & Jun Yu, 2009.
"Explosive Behavior in the 1990s Nasdaq: When Did Exuberance Escalate Asset Values?,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1699, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Yangru Wu & Jun Yu, 2011. "EXPLOSIVE BEHAVIOR IN THE 1990s NASDAQ: WHEN DID EXUBERANCE ESCALATE ASSET VALUES?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 52(1), pages 201-226, 02.
- Peter C.B.Phillips & Yangru Wu & Jun Yu, 2009. "Explosive Behavior in the 1990s Nasdaq: When Did Exuberance Escalate Asset Values?," Working Papers CoFie-03-2008, Sim Kee Boon Institute for Financial Economics.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Yangru Wu & Jun Yu, 2007. "Explosive Behavior in the 1990s Nasdaq: When Did Exuberance Escalate Asset Values?," Working Papers 222007, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Peter C.B. PHILIPS & Yangru WU & Jun YU, 2009. "Explosive Behavior in the 1990s Nasdaq: When Did Exuberance Escalate Asset Values?," Working Papers 19-2009, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Peter C.B. Philips & Yangru Wu & Jun Yu, 2009. "Explosive Behavior in the 1990s Nasdaq : When Did Exuberance Escalate Asset Values?," Finance Working Papers 23050, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1984. "Forward and spot exchange rates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 319-338, November.
- Michael Jansson & Marcelo J. Moreira, 2004.
"Optimal Inference in Regression Models with Nearly Integrated Regressors,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2047, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Michael Jansson & Marcelo J. Moreira, 2006. "Optimal Inference in Regression Models with Nearly Integrated Regressors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(3), pages 681-714, 05.
- Michael Jansson & Marcelo J. Moreira, 2004. "Optimal Inference in Regression Models with Nearly Integrated Regressors," NBER Technical Working Papers 0303, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean, 1979. "Speculative bubbles, crashes and rational expectations," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 387-389.
- Walter Torous & Rossen Valkanov & Shu Yan, 2004. "On Predicting Stock Returns with Nearly Integrated Explanatory Variables," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(4), pages 937-966, October.
- Refet Gurkaynak, 2005.
"Econometric Tests of Asset Price Bubbles: Taking Stock,"
- Refet S. Gürkaynak, 2005. "Econometric tests of asset price bubbles: taking stock," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-04, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Evans, George W, 1986. "A Test for Speculative Bubbles in the Sterling-Dollar Exchange Rate: 1981-84," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 621-36, September.
- Timo Bettendorf & Wenjuan Chen, 2013.
"Are There Bubbles in the Sterling-dollar Exchange Rate? New Evidence from Sequential ADF Tests,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2013-012, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Bettendorf, Timo & Chen, Wenjuan, 2013. "Are there bubbles in the Sterling-dollar exchange rate? New evidence from sequential ADF tests," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 350-353.
- Chen, Wenjuan & Bettendorf, Timo, 2013. "Are There Bubbles in the Sterling-dollar Exchange Rate? New Evidence from Sequential ADF Tests," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 80002, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Hendrik Kaufmannz & Robinson Kruse, 2013. "Bias-corrected estimation in potentially mildly explosive autoregressive models," CREATES Research Papers 2013-10, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Evans).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.