A New Evidence for Exchange Rate Pass-through: Disaggregated Trade Data from Local Ports
AbstractFor the estimation of exchange rate pass-through (henceforth ERPT), except for few evidences based on firm-level data, even the most disaggregated level of national export data is still biased with aggregation over sub-regions within an exporting country. We investigate to what extent this aggregation within product category is biased by comparing ERPT estimates across local ports. We use monthly exports at the HS 9-digit level from January 1988 to December 2005 for five major Japanese ports. In a panel data regression framework we control for exporting industry and importing country. Statistical tests provide strong evidence that export prices are set at different levels across local ports and that they correspond differently with respect to fluctuations of exchange rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kyushu Sangyo University, Faculty of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 31.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2008
Date of revision: Dec 2008
Publication status: Forthcoming in International Review of Economics and Finance, 2009
Exchange rate pass-through; Firm heterogeneity; Japanese trade; Port-level trade; pricing-to-market;
Other versions of this item:
- Yoshida, Yushi, 2010. "New evidence for exchange rate pass-through: Disaggregated trade data from local ports," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 3-12, January.
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-03-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2009-03-14 (Central Banking)
- NEP-IFN-2009-03-14 (International Finance)
- NEP-INT-2009-03-14 (International Trade)
- NEP-OPM-2009-03-14 (Open Economy Macroeconomic)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert E. Lipsey & Linda Molinari & Irving B. Kravis, 1992.
"Measures of Prices and Price Competitiveness in International Trade in Manufactured Goods,"
NBER Working Papers
3442, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Lipsey & Linda Molinari & Irving B. Kravis, 1991. "Measures of Prices and Price Competitiveness in International Trade in Manufactured Goods," NBER Chapters, in: International Economic Transactions: Issues in Measurement and Empirical Research, pages 144-199 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gagnon, Joseph E. & Knetter, Michael M., 1995.
"Markup adjustment and exchange rate fluctuations: evidence from panel data on automobile exports,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 289-310, April.
- Joseph E. Gagnon & Michael M. Knetter, 1992. "Markup Adjustment and Exchange Rate Fluctuations: Evidence From Panel Data on Automobile Exports," NBER Working Papers 4123, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1987.
"Exchange Rates and Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
1769, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Banik, Nilanjan & Biswas, Basudeb, 2007. "Exchange rate pass-through in the U.S. automobile market: A cointegration approach," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 223-236.
- Bernhofen, Daniel M. & Xu, Peng, 2000. "Exchange rates and market power: evidence from the petrochemical industry," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 283-297, December.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Klemperer, Paul D, 1989.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 637-54, September.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Paul Klemperer, 1989. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters," NBER Working Papers 2542, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Kosma, Theodora S., 2007. "Market power and exchange rate pass-through," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 202-222.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Guillaume Gaulier & Amina Lahrèche-Révil & Isabelle Méjean, 2008.
"Exchange-rate pass-through at the product level,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(2), pages 425-449, May.
- Flam, Harry & Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Vertical Product Differentiation and North-South Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 810-22, December.
- Knetter, Michael M, 1989. "Price Discrimination by U.S. and German Exporters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 198-210, March.
- Sushanta Mallick & Helena Marques, 2008. "Exchange Rate Transmission into Industry-Level Export Prices: A Tale of Two Policy Regimes in India," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 55(1), pages 83-108, April.
- Kadiyali, Vrinda, 1997. "Exchange rate pass-through for strategic pricing and advertising: An empirical analysis of the U.S. photographic film industry," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 437-461, November.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1997.
"Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1243-1272, September.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1996. "Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?," NBER Working Papers 5862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beladi, Hamid & Chakrabarti, Avik & Marjit, Sugata, 2010. "Exchange rate pass-through: A generalization," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 493-504, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yoshitsugu Kitazawa).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.