Time Preference and Income Convergence in a Dynamic Heckscher-Ohlin Model
AbstractThis paper shows that income convergence in an open-economy setting hinges upon how the time-discount rate of the households is determined. As opposed to the case of constant time-discount rate where cross-country income divergence may emerge, the small-open economy may catch up with the rest of the world if the discount rate increases with consumption. In contrast, either if the discount rate decreases with consumption or if future-oriented investment of the household lowers the time- discount rate, then the small-open economy fails to catch up with the rest of the world under free trade of commodities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research in its series KIER Working Papers with number 880.
Date of creation: Nov 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Yoshida-Honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501
Web page: http://www.kier.kyoto-u.ac.jp/eng/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Epstein, Larry G., 1987. "A simple dynamic general equilibrium model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 68-95, February.
- Nishimura, Kazuo & Shimomura, Koji, 2002. "Indeterminacy in a dynamic small open economy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 271-281, December.
- Ventura, Jaume, 1997. "Growth and Interdependence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(1), pages 57-84, February.
- Kiminori Matsuyama, 2009. "Structural Change in an Interdependent World: A Global View of Manufacturing Decline," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 7(2-3), pages 478-486, 04-05.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Ventura, Jaume, 2001.
"The World Income Distribution,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2973, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Stern, 2006. "Endogenous time preference and optimal growth," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 49-70, September.
- Hu, Yunfang & Mino, Kazuo, 2013.
"Trade structure and belief-driven fluctuations in a global economy,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 414-424.
- Yunfang Hu & Kazuo Mino, 2013. "Trade Structure and Belief-Driven Fluctuations in a Global Economy," KIER Working Papers 841, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Fwu-Ranq Chang, 2009.
"Optimal growth and impatience: A phase diagram analysis,"
International Journal of Economic Theory,
The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 5(2), pages 245-255.
- Fwu-Ranq Chang, 2004. "Optimal Growth and Impatience: A Phase Diagram Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 1359, CESifo Group Munich.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1990.
"Intertemporal dependence, impatience, and dynamics,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 45-75, August.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1991. "Intertemporal Dependence, Impatience, and Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 3028, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Claustre Bajona & Timothy J. Kehoe, 2006.
"Trade, Growth, and Convergence in a Dynamic Heckscher-Ohlin Model,"
NBER Working Papers
12567, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Claustre Bajona & Timothy Kehoe, 2010. "Trade, Growth, and Convergence in a Dynamic Heckscher-Ohlin Model," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 13(3), pages 487-513, July.
- Claustre Bajona & Timothy J. Kehoe, 2008. "Trade, growth, and convergence in a dynamic Heckscher-Ohlin model," Staff Report 378, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Lorenzo Caliendo, 2010. "On the Dynamics of the Hecksher-Ohlin Theory," Working Papers 2010-011, Becker Friedman Institute for Research In Economics.
- Alejandro Cuñat & Marco Maffezzoli, . "Growth and Interdependence under Complete Specialization," Working Papers 183, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Kawagishi, Taketo, 2012. "Endogenous time preference, investment externalities, and equilibrium indeterminacy," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 234-241.
- Ken-ichi Hirose & Shinsuke Ikeda, 2012. "Decreasing marginal impatience in a two-country world economy," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 105(3), pages 247-262, April.
- Hirose, Ken-Ichi & Ikeda, Shinsuke, 2012. "Decreasing and increasing marginal impatience and the terms of trade in an interdependent world economy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1551-1565.
- Becker, Gary S & Mulligan, Casey B, 1997. "The Endogenous Determination of Time Preference," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(3), pages 729-58, August.
- Gaitan, Beatriz & Roe, Terry L., 2007. "Path Interdependence Among Early and Late Bloomers in a Dynamic Heckscher-Ohlin Model," Bulletins 7183, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Yasuhiro Nakamoto, 2009. "Consumption externalities with endogenous time preference," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 96(1), pages 41-62, January.
- Been-Lon Chen & Kazuo Nishimura & Koji Shimomura, 2008. "Time preference and two-country trade," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 4(1), pages 29-52.
- Zhiqi Chen, 1992. "Long-Run Equilibria in a Dynamic Heckscher-Ohlin Model," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 25(4), pages 923-43, November.
- Das, Mausumi, 2003. "Optimal growth with decreasing marginal impatience," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 1881-1898, August.
- Ken-Ichi Hirose & Shinsuke Ikeda, 2008. "On Decreasing Marginal Impatience," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 59(3), pages 259-274.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Akihisa Shibata).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.