Estimating Noncooperative and Cooperative Models of Bargaining: An Empirical Comparison
AbstractThis paper examines the issue of model selection in studies of strategic situations. In particular, we compare estimation results from Adachi and Watanabe's (2008) noncooperative formulation of government formulation with those from two alternative cooperative formulations. Although the estimates of the ministerial ranking are similar, statistical testing suggests that Adachi and Watanabe's(2008) noncooperative formulation is best fitted to the observed data among the alternative models. This result implies that modeling the time structure in bargaining situations is crucially important at the risk of possibly misspecifying the details of the game.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research in its series KIER Working Papers with number 799.
Date of creation: Dec 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Yoshida-Honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501
Web page: http://www.kier.kyoto-u.ac.jp/eng/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Model selection; Bargaining; Government formation; Structural estimation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- C78 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Bargaining Theory; Matching Theory
- H19 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-12-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2011-12-13 (Econometrics)
- NEP-GTH-2011-12-13 (Game Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergiu Hart & Andreu Mas-Colell, 1994.
"Bargaining and value,"
Economics Working Papers
114, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Feb 1995.
- Britz, Volker & Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & Predtetchinski, Arkadi, 2008.
"Non-cooperative Support for the Asymmetric Nash Bargaining solution,"
018, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Britz, Volker & Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & Predtetchinski, Arkadi, 2010. "Non-cooperative support for the asymmetric Nash bargaining solution," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(5), pages 1951-1967, September.
- Britz, Volker & Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & Predtetchinski, Arkadi, 2008. "Non-cooperative Support for the Asymmetric Nash Bargaining solution," Research Memorandum 018, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Xingwei Hu, 2006. "An Asymmetric Shapley–Shubik Power Index," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 229-240, August.
- Martin J. Osborne & Ariel Rubinstein, 1994.
"A Course in Game Theory,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262650401, January.
- Yasutora Watanabe & Takanori Adachi, 2004.
"Ministerial Weights and Government Formation: Estimation Using a Bargaining Model,"
Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings
742, Econometric Society.
- Yasutora Watanabe, 2008. "Ministerial Weights and Government Formation: Estimation Using a Bargaining Model," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(1), pages 95-119, May.
- Laruelle, Annick & Valenciano, Federico, 2008. "Noncooperative foundations of bargaining power in committees and the Shapley-Shubik index," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 341-353, May.
- Ray, Debraj, 2007. "A Game-Theoretic Perspective on Coalition Formation," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199207954.
- McDonald, James B, 1984. "Some Generalized Functions for the Size Distribution of Income," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 647-63, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Akihisa Shibata).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.