The Equity Premium Puzzle and the Ex Post Bias
AbstractThis paper argues that the high historical excess returns to equity are1 a result of a severe ex post bias over the period from 1915 to circa 1960 because inflation surprises during this period drove a wedge between ex ante and ex post returns to bonds. Furthermore, it is shown that ex ante and ex post returns to shares are identical in steady state. Adjusting the ex post equity premium by the ex post bias reduces the equity premium to an arithmetic mean of 3.5-3.9% over the past 130 years.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Finance Research Unit in its series FRU Working Papers with number 2004/01.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk/FRU/
More information through EDIRC
equity premium; inflation expectations; expected returns;
Other versions of this item:
- G0 - Financial Economics - - General
- E1 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models
- E3 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rieger, Marc Oliver & Wang, Mei, 2012. "Can ambiguity aversion solve the equity premium puzzle? Survey evidence from international data," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 63-72.
- van Ewijk, Casper & de Groot, Henri L.F. & Santing, A.J. (Coos), 2012.
"A meta-analysis of the equity premium,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 819-830.
- Casper van Ewijk & Henri L.F. de Groot & Coos Santing, 2010. "A Meta-Analysis of the Equity Premium," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 10-078/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Casper van Ewijk & C. Santing, 2010. "A meta-analysis of the equity premium," CPB Discussion Paper 156, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Philip Jagd & Jakob Madsen, 2009. "Myopic loss aversion, bond returns and the equity premium puzzle," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(17), pages 1383-1390.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.