Law and Peace: Contracts and the Success of the Danish Dairy Cooperatives
AbstractWe consider the successful early emergence of cooperative creameries in Denmark in the late nineteenth century within the framework of the ‘new institutional economics’ presented by Williamson (2000). Previous work has focused on the social cohesion of the Danes, but we demonstrate that this was not sufficient for the success. The Danish legal system, which we compare to that of other countries, was also of crucial importance, along with the way in which rules were monitored and enforced. Of particular importance was the Danish cooperatives’ use of contracts, which we explore with evidence from a variety of primary and secondary sources.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 11-11.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
cooperatives; creameries; contracts; new institutional economics;
Other versions of this item:
- Henriksen, Ingrid & Hviid, Morten & Sharp, Paul, 2012. "Law and Peace: Contracts and the Success of the Danish Dairy Cooperatives," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 72(01), pages 197-224, March.
- K12 - Law and Economics - - Basic Areas of Law - - - Contract Law
- L31 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Nonprofit Institutions; NGOs
- N43 - Economic History - - Government, War, Law, International Relations, and Regulation - - - Europe: Pre-1913
- N53 - Economic History - - Agriculture, Natural Resources, Environment and Extractive Industries - - - Europe: Pre-1913
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2011-04-23 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-LAW-2011-04-23 (Law & Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kevin H. O'Rourke, 2001.
"Culture, politics and innovation: evidence from the creameries,"
Trinity Economics Papers, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics
200120, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- O'Rourke, Kevin H, 2002. "Culture, Politics and Innovation: Evidence from the Creameries," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 3235, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- KevinH. O'Rourke, 2007. "Culture, Conflict and Cooperation: Irish Dairying Before the Great War," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(523), pages 1357-1379, October.
- Henriques, Sofia Teives & Sharp, Paul, 2014.
"The Danish Agricultural Revolution in an Energy Perspective: A Case of Development with Few Domestic Energy Sources,"
Discussion Papers of Business and Economics, Department of Business and Economics, University of Southern Denmark
9/2014, Department of Business and Economics, University of Southern Denmark.
- Sofia Teives Henriques & Paul Sharp, 2014. "The Danish Agricultural Revolution in an Energy Perspective: A Case of Development with Few Domestic Energy Sources," Working Papers 0056, European Historical Economics Society (EHES).
- Markus Lampe & Paul Sharp, 2013. "Greasing the Wheels of Rural Transformation? Margarine and the Competition for the British Butter Market," Working Papers 0043, European Historical Economics Society (EHES).
- Markus Lampe & Paul Sharp, 2014.
"Just Add Milk: A Productivity Analysis of the Revolutionary Changes in Nineteenth Century Danish Dairying,"
0055, European Historical Economics Society (EHES).
- Markus Lampe & Paul Sharp, 2014. "Just Add Milk: A Productivity Analysis of the Revolutionary Changes in Nineteenth Century Danish Dairying," Working Papers in Economic History wp14-03, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Historia Económica e Instituciones.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.