Testing and Inference in Nonlinear Cointegrating Vector Error Correction Models
AbstractIn this paper, we consider a general class of vector error correction models which allow for asymmetric and non-linear error correction. We provide asymptotic results for (quasi-)maximum likelihood (QML) based estimators and tests. General hypothesis testing is considered, where testing for linearity is of particular interest as parameters of non-linear components vanish under the null. To solve the latter type of testing, we use the so-called sup tests, which here requires development of new (uniform) weak convergence results. These results are potentially useful in general for analysis of non-stationary non-linear time series models. Thus the paper provides a full asymptotic theory for estimators as well as standard and non-standard test statistics. The derived asymptotic results prove to be new compared to results found elsewhere in the literature due to the impact of the estimated cointegration relations. With respect to testing, this makes implementation of testing involved, and bootstrap versions of the tests are proposed in order to facilitate their usage. The asymptotic results regarding the QML estimators extend results in Kristensen and Rahbek (2010, Journal of Econometrics) where symmetric non-linear error correction are considered. A simulation study shows that the finite sample properties of the bootstrapped tests are satisfactory with good size and power properties for reasonable sample sizes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 10-25.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Kristensen, Dennis & Rahbek, Anders, 2013. "Testing And Inference In Nonlinear Cointegrating Vector Error Correction Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(06), pages 1238-1288, December.
- Dennis Kristensen & Anders Rahbek, 2010. "Testing and Inference in Nonlinear Cointegrating Vector Error Correction Models," CREATES Research Papers 2010-68, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- C30 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Jong, Robert M., 2001. "Nonlinear estimation using estimated cointegrating relations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 109-122, March.
- de Jong, Robert M., 2002. "Nonlinear minimization estimators in the presence of cointegrating relations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 241-259, October.
- Line Elvstrøm Ekner & Emil Nejstgaard, 2013. "Parameter Identification in the Logistic STAR Model," Discussion Papers 13-07, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.