Exponential Health Utility: A Characterization and Comments on a Paper by Happich and Mühlbacher
AbstractIn a recent paper Happich and Mühlbacher [Eur J Health Econom (2003) 4:292-294] proposed an axiom of constant absolute trade-off in life years, and studied the family of QALY models satisfying this axiom under expected utility and mutual utility independence between life years and health state. In this paper, we provide a complete characterization of the above-mentioned family of QALY models. This family should not be mistaken for the family of multiplicative expo-nential QALY models; in particular, it violates the zero-condition.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 04-04.
Length: 7 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-03-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2004-03-22 (Development)
- NEP-EDU-2004-03-22 (Education)
- NEP-HEA-2004-03-22 (Health Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miyamoto, John M. & Wakker, Peter P. & Bleichodt, Han & Peters, Hans J.M., 1996.
"The zero-condition: a simplifying assumption in QALY measurement and multiattribute utility,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-12227, Maastricht University.
- John M. Miyamoto & Peter P. Wakker & Han Bleichrodt & Hans J. M. Peters, 1998. "The Zero-Condition: A Simplifying Assumption in QALY Measurement and Multiattribute Utility," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(6), pages 839-849, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Fischer).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.