Mattresses versus Banks - The Effect of Trust on Portfolio Composition
AbstractThis paper adds to the growing literature that studies whether trust affects the financial decisions of people. More specifically, we investigate whether lack of trust in banks can explain why people save their savings in cash, ‘under the mattress’, rather than deposit their savings at the bank. We find a significant effect of lack of trust on the likelihood that a person saves money in cash but also that lack of trust can only provide part of the explanation for the ‘money under the mattress’ phenomenon. Other factors that matter are the financial awareness and access to bank services.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kyiv School of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 40.
Date of creation: Jun 2011
Date of revision:
Note: Journal of Development Economics
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 13 Yakira Str, 04119 Kyiv
Web page: http://www.kse.org.ua/
More information through EDIRC
trust; bank deposits; cash savings; financial awareness;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-07-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2011-07-13 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2011-07-13 (Central Banking)
- NEP-CBE-2011-07-13 (Cognitive & Behavioural Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Markus Knell & Helmut Stix, 2009. "Trust in Banks? Evidence from normal times and from times of crises," Working Papers 158, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Helmut Stix, 2012.
"Why Do People Save in Cash? Distrust, Memories of Banking Crises, Weak Institutions and Dollarization,"
178, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Stix, Helmut, 2013. "Why do people save in cash? Distrust, memories of banking crises, weak institutions and dollarization," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4087-4106.
- Dean Karlan & Aishwarya Lakshmi Ratan & Jonathan Zinman, 2013. "Savings by and for the Poor: A Research Review and Agenda," Working Papers 1027, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Olena Nizalova).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.