Inter- and Intra-Firm Diffusion of Technology: the Example of E-commerce : An Analysis based on Swiss Firm-level Data
AbstractThe paper aims at a joint analysis of inter-firm and intra-firm diffusion of technology, taking as an example E-selling and E-purchasing. The analysis is based on an encompassing model of diffusion, drawn from the literature, which is extended by considering technology-specific obstacles and benefits of adoption. As hypothesised, we find, firstly, that the determinants of inter-firm and intrafirm diffusion differ in case of both types of E-commerce; secondly, that the drivers of the diffusion of E-selling and E-purchasing are not the same, and, finally, that uncertainties and adjustment costs, mostly neglected in previous work, are important factors in explaining technology diffusion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich in its series KOF Working papers with number 07-157.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2007
Date of revision:
Technology diffusion; Inter-firm and Intra-firm diffusion; E-commerce; E-selling; E-purchasing;
Other versions of this item:
- Hollenstein, Heinz & Woerter, Martin, 2008. "Inter- and intra-firm diffusion of technology: The example of E-commerce: An analysis based on Swiss firm-level data," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 545-564, April.
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-04-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-ICT-2007-04-09 (Information & Communication Technologies)
- NEP-INO-2007-04-09 (Innovation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cohen, Wesley M & Levinthal, Daniel A, 1989. "Innovation and Learning: The Two Faces of R&D," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 569-96, September.
- Luis Garicano & Steven N. Kaplan, 2000.
"The Effects of Business-to-Business E-Commerce on Transaction Costs,"
NBER Working Papers
8017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Garicano, Luis & Kaplan, Steven N, 2001. "The Effects of Business-to-Business E-Commerce on Transaction Costs," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 463-85, December.
- Luis Garicano & Steven N. Kaplan, 2001. "The Effects of Business-to-Business E-Commerce on Transaction Costs," NBER Chapters, in: E-commerce, pages 463-485 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James J. Heckman, 1976. "The Common Structure of Statistical Models of Truncation, Sample Selection and Limited Dependent Variables and a Simple Estimator for Such Models," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 5, number 4, pages 475-492 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Battisti, Giuliana & Stoneman, Paul, 2005. "The intra-firm diffusion of new process technologies," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 1-22, February.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 2002.
"Information Technology, Workplace Organization, And The Demand For Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 117(1), pages 339-376, February.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 1999. "Information Technology, Workplace Organization and the Demand for Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Lucking-Reiley & Daniel F. Spulber, 2001.
"Business-to-Business Electronic Commerce,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 15(1), pages 55-68, Winter.
- David Lucking-Reiley & Daniel F. Spulber, 2000. "Business-to-Business Electronic Commerce," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0016, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Giuliana Battisti & Heinz Hollenstein & Paul Stoneman & Martin Woerter, 2007.
"Inter And Intra Firm Diffusion Of Ict In The United Kingdom (Uk) And Switzerland (Ch) An Internationally Comparative Study Based On Firm-Level Data,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(8), pages 669-687.
- Giuliana Battisti & Heinz Hollenstein & Paul Stoneman & Martin Woerter, 2005. "Inter and Intra firm Diffusion of ICT in the United Kingdom (UK) and Switzerland (CH) : An Internationally Comparative Study Based on Firm-level Data," KOF Working papers 05-111, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 2000. "Beyond Computation: Information Technology, Organizational Transformation and Business Performance," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(4), pages 23-48, Fall.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Heinz Hollenstein, 2001. "The Determinants Of The Adoption Of Advanced Manufacturing Technology," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(5), pages 377-414.
- Hollenstein, Heinz, 2004. "Determinants of the adoption of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT): An empirical analysis based on firm-level data for the Swiss business sector," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 315-342, September.
- Ruby Roy Dholakia & Nir Kshetri, 2004. "Factors Impacting the Adoption of the Internet among SMEs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 311-322, November.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Battisti, Giuliana & Stoneman, Paul, 2003. "Inter- and intra-firm effects in the diffusion of new process technology," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1641-1655, October.
- Freund, Caroline L. & Weinhold, Diana, 2004. "The effect of the Internet on international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 171-189, January.
- Stoneman, P., 1989. "Technological diffusion, vertical product differentiation and quality improvement," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 277-280, December.
- Bertschek, Irene & Fryges, Helmut, 2002. "The Adoption of Business-to-Business E-Commerce: Empirical Evidence for German Companies," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-05, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Rivers, Douglas & Vuong, Quang H., 1988. "Limited information estimators and exogeneity tests for simultaneous probit models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 347-366, November.
- A. Canepa & P. Stoneman, 2004. "Comparative international diffusion: Patterns, determinants and policies," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 279-298.
- Colombo, Massimo G & Mosconi, Rocco, 1995. "Complementarity and Cumulative Learning Effects in the Early Diffusion of Multiple Technologies," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 13-48, March.
- Thomas Astebro, 2004. "Sunk Costs and the Depth and Probability of Technology Adoption," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(3), pages 381-399, 09.
- Fuentelsaz, Lucio & Gomez, Jaime & Polo, Yolanda, 2003. "Intrafirm diffusion of new technologies: an empirical application," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 533-551, April.
- Alessandra Canepa & Paul Stoneman, 2005.
"Financing Constraints in the Inter Firm Diffusion of New Process Technologies,"
The Journal of Technology Transfer,
Springer, vol. 30(2_2), pages 159-169, 01.
- Stoneman, Paul & Canepa, Alessandra, 2003. "Financing Constraints in the Inter Firm Diffusion of New Process Technologies," EIFC - Technology and Finance Working Papers 28, United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Marius Ley, 2013.
"Factors Determining the Adoption of Energy-Saving Technologies in Swiss Firms: An Analysis Based on Micro Data,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 54(3), pages 389-417, March.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Ley Marius, 2010. "Factors Determining the Adoption of Energy-saving Technologies in Swiss Firms – An Analysis based on Micro Data," KOF Working papers 10-257, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Waters, James, 2013. "The influence of information sources on inter- and intra-firm diffusion: evidence from UK farming," MPRA Paper 50955, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marius Ley, 2010. "Determinanten der Verbreitung energieeffizienter Technologien in der Schweizer Wirtschaft," KOF Analysen, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich, vol. 4(4), pages 43-59, December.
- Juan Gallego & Luis H. Gutiérrez & Sang H. Lee, 2011.
"A firm-level analysis of ICT adoption in an emerging economy: evidence from the colombian manufacturing industries,"
DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO
009155, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Juan M. Gallego & Luis H. Gutiérrez & Sang H. Lee, . "A Firm-Level Analysis of ICT Adoption in an Emerging Economy: Evidence from the Colombian Manufacturing Industries," Development Working Papers 362, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Capasso, Salvatore & Jappelli, Tullio, 2013.
"Financial development and the underground economy,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 101(C), pages 167-178.
- Fuentelsaz, Lucio & Gómez, Jaime & Palomas, Sergio, 2012. "Production technologies and financial performance: The effect of uneven diffusion among competitors," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 401-413.
- Lucia-Palacios, Laura & Bordonaba-Juste, Victoria & Polo-Redondo, Yolanda & Grünhagen, Marko, 2014. "Technological opportunism effects on IT adoption, intra-firm diffusion and performance: Evidence from the U.S. and Spain," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(6), pages 1178-1188.
- Ben Aoun - Peltier, Leila & Vicente Cuervo, Maria Rosalia, 2012. "E-commerce diffusion: exploring the determinants of the adoption and extent of usage at firm-level," MPRA Paper 49333, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.