Innovation and Labour Productivity in the Swiss Manufacturing Sector: An Analysis Based on Firm Panel Data
AbstractThis paper investigates (a) the determinants of innovation performance and (b) the impact of innovation performance on labour productivity of Swiss manufacturing firms in the period 1994-2002. The data used in this study come from the KOF panel database and were collected in 1996, 1999 and 2002 respectively based on a questionnaire quite similar to that used in the Community Innovation Surveys (CIS). The use of a wide spectrum of indicators helps to test the robustness of the specification of the innovation equation as well as the robustness of the impact of innovation on economic performance. We find a clear-cut positive effect of innovation on labour productivity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich in its series KOF Working papers with number 06-149.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2006
Date of revision:
innovation; labour productivity; R&D expenditures;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2007-02-03 (Business Economics)
- NEP-EEC-2007-02-03 (European Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2007-02-03 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-HRM-2007-02-03 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-INO-2007-02-03 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2007-02-03 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-TID-2007-02-03 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Roper, Stephen & Arvanitis, Spyros, 2012.
"From knowledge to added value: A comparative, panel-data analysis of the innovation value chain in Irish and Swiss manufacturing firms,"
Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 1093-1106.
- Stephen Roper & Spyros Arvanitis, 2009. "From Knowledge to Added Value: A Comparative, Panel-data Analysis of the Innovation Value Chain in Irish and Swiss Manufacturing Firms," KOF Working papers 09-244, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Heinz Hollenstein, 2010.
"How Do Different Motives for R&D Investment in Foreign Locations Affect Domestic Firm Performance? An Analysis Based on Swiss Panel Micro Data,"
KOF Working papers
10-258, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Heinz Hollenstein, 2010. "How Do Different Motives for R&D Investment in Foreign Locations Affect Domestic Firm Performance? An Analysis Based on Swiss Panel Micro Data," WIFO Working Papers 375, WIFO.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Heinz Hollenstein & Marius Ley & Tobias Stucki, 2011. "Die Internationalisierung der Schweizer Wirtschaft," KOF Analysen, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich, vol. 5(2), pages 51-62, June.
- Stéphane Lhuillery, 2011. "Absorptive capacity, efficiency effect and competitors’ spillovers," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 649-663, October.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Euripidis N. Loukis & Vasiliki Diamantopoulou, 2013. "Are ICT, Workplace Organization and Human Capital Relevant for Innovation? A Comparative Study Based on Swiss and Greek Micro Data," KOF Working papers 13-333, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Marius Ley, 2010. "Insights into the Determinants of Innovation of Energy Efficiency," KOF Working papers 10-266, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Spyros Arvanitis, 2008. "Determinanten der Innovationsneigung und Beitrag der Innovation zur Unternehmensleistung," KOF Analysen, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich, vol. 2(1), pages 71-84, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.