High versus Low Inflation: Implications for Price-Level Convergence
AbstractThis paper investigates the relationship between the level of inflation and regional price-level convergence utilizing micro-level price data from Turkey during two clearly distinguishable periods of high and low inflation. The results indicate that higher persistence and slower convergence of price levels are evident during the low-inflation period, which corresponds to the inflation targeting (IT) regime. During the low-inflation IT regime, inflation convergence across regions appears to occur more quickly and may be responsible for the slower pace of convergence in price levels. Overall, IT in Turkey, which was successful in lowering and maintaining inflation at acceptable levels, also appears to be associated with faster convergence in inflation rates at the expense of slower convergence in price levels.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum in its series Koç University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers with number 1412.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2014
Date of revision:
Price Convergence; Inflation Convergence; Micro-level Prices; Turkey.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-03-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2014-03-30 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-CBA-2014-03-30 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2014-03-30 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2014-03-30 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thanasis Stengos & M. Ege Yazgan, 2011.
"Persistence in Convergence,"
Working Paper Series
34_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- LAN, Yuexing & SYLWESTER, Kevin, 2010. "Does the law of one price hold in China? Testing price convergence using disaggregated data," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 224-236, June.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Nelson C. Mark & Robert J. Sonora, 2002. "Price Index Convergence Among United States Cities," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(4), pages 1081-1099, November.
- Shimotsu, Katsumi & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2006. "Local Whittle estimation of fractional integration and some of its variants," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 209-233, February.
- Konstantin Gluschenko, 2010.
"Price convergence and market integration in Russia,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp999, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Gluschenko, Konstantin, 2011. "Price convergence and market integration in Russia," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 160-172, March.
- Gluschenko, Konstantin, 2006. "Russia’s common market takes shape: Price convergence and market integration among Russian regions," BOFIT Discussion Papers 7/2006, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Yazgan, M. Ege & Yilmazkuday, Hakan, 2011.
"Price-level convergence: New evidence from U.S. cities,"
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 76-78, February.
- M. Ege Yazgan & Hakan Yilmazkuday, 2010. "Price-Level Convergence: New Evidence from U.S. Cities," DETU Working Papers 1011, Department of Economics, Temple University.
- Mario J. Crucini & Mototsugu Shintani, 2006.
"Persistence in Law-of-One-Price Deviations: Evidence from Micro-data,"
321307000000000311, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Crucini, Mario J. & Shintani, Mototsugu, 2008. "Persistence in law of one price deviations: Evidence from micro-data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 629-644, April.
- Mario J. Crucini & Mototsugu Shintani, 2006. "Persistence in Law-Of-One-Price Deviations: Evidence from Micro-Data," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0616, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Mario J. Crucini & Mototsugu Shintani, 2002. "Persistence in Law-Of-One-Price Deviations: Evidence from Micro-Data," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0222, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics, revised Jul 2004.
- Thanasis Stengos & M. Ege Yazgan, 2012.
"Persistence in Real Exchange Rate Convergence,"
1207, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Murray, Christian J. & Papell, David H., 2005. "Do Panels Help Solve the Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle?," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 410-415, October.
- BAI, Jushan & PERRON, Pierre, 1998.
"Computation and Analysis of Multiple Structural-Change Models,"
Cahiers de recherche
9807, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003. "Computation and analysis of multiple structural change models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- Katsumi Shimotsu, 2002.
"Exact Local Whittle Estimation of Fractional Integration with Unknown Mean and Time Trend,"
Economics Discussion Papers
543, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Shimotsu, Katsumi, 2010. "Exact Local Whittle Estimation Of Fractional Integration With Unknown Mean And Time Trend," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(02), pages 501-540, April.
- Katsumi Shimotsu, 2006. "Exact Local Whittle Estimation of Fractional Integration with Unknown Mean and Time Trend," Working Papers 1061, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- David C. Parsley & Shang-Jin Wei, 1996.
"Convergence to the Law of One Price Without Trade Barriers or Currency Fluctuations,"
NBER Working Papers
5654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Parsley, David C & Wei, Shang-Jin, 1996. "Convergence to the Law of One Price without Trade Barriers or Currency Fluctuations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 111(4), pages 1211-36, November.
- Samarjit Das & Kaushik Bhattacharya, 2008.
"Price convergence across regions in India,"
Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 299-313, March.
- Chi-Young Choi & Nelson Mark & Donggyu Sul, 2004.
"Unbiased Estimation of the Half-Life to PPP Convergence in Panel Data,"
NBER Working Papers
10614, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Choi, Chi-Young & Mark, Nelson C. & Sul, Donggyu, 2006. "Unbiased Estimation of the Half-Life to PPP Convergence in Panel Data," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(4), pages 921-938, June.
- Abadir, Karim M. & Distaso, Walter & Giraitis, Liudas, 2007. "Nonstationarity-extended local Whittle estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1353-1384, December.
- Wimanda, Rizki E., 2009. "Price variability and price convergence: Evidence from Indonesia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 427-442, September.
- Ritola, Maria, 2008. "Price convergence and geographic dimension of market integration: Evidence from China," BOFIT Discussion Papers 13/2008, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Janet Ceglowski, 2003. "The law of one price: intranational evidence for Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(2), pages 373-400, May.
- Joanna Wolszczak-Derlacz & Rembert De Blander, 2009. "Price convergence in the European Union and in the New Member States," Bank i Kredyt, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute, vol. 40(2), pages 37-59.
- Morshed, A.K.M. Mahbub & Ahn, Sung K. & Lee, Minsoo, 2006. "Price convergence among Indian cities: A cointegration approach," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 1030-1043, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sumru Oz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.