Auction Design and the Success of National 3G Spectrum Auctions
AbstractThis study empirically examines a sample of national wireless spectrum assignments for the period 2000-2007 to identify the sources of revenue variations. An econometric model that recognises the censored nature of the sample relates per capita winning bid (per Mhz) values to auction design variables (license award process), national and mobile market conditions, spectrum package attributes and post-award obligations identified from national regulatory authority tender documents. The analysis reveals that most auction design variables independently impact on realized 3G spectrum auction revenue in a manner consistent with auction theory.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum in its series Koç University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers with number 1007.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2010
Date of revision:
Wireless telephone markets; 3G spectrum auctions; spectrum bid price;
Other versions of this item:
- Gary Madden & Ismail Saglam & Aaron Morey, 2010. "Auction Design and the Success of National 3G Spectrum Auctions," Working Papers 1002, TOBB University of Economics and Technology, Department of Economics.
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-17 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lee, Hyeongjik & Seol, Seong-ho & Kweon, Soo Cheon, 2012. "An event study of the first telecommunications spectrum auction in Korea and "the winner's curse"," 23rd European Regional ITS Conference, Vienna 2012 60394, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sumru Oz).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.