Does International Trade Really Lead to Business Cycle Synchronization?-A panel data approach
AbstractThis paper re-estimates the correlation between trade and business cycle synchronization. Different from other previous studies, we employ long-run GDP and trade data and use the GDP cross-correlation index a la Cerqueira and Martins (2009) rather than over-time cross-correlations. We find a positive impact of trade on business cycle synchronization particularly in the current wave of globalization, although the inter-war period sees negative impacts. The current economic integration and currency unions also positively affect business cycle synchronization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University in its series Discussion Paper Series with number DP2011-05.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2-1 Rokkodai, Nada, Kobe 657-8501 JAPAN
Phone: +81-(0)78 803 7036
Fax: +81-(0)78 803 7059
Web page: http://www.rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp/index-e.html
More information through EDIRC
Business cycle synchronization; Trade; Panel approach;
Other versions of this item:
- Michael Artis & Toshihiro Okubo, 2011. "Does International Trade Really Lead To Business Cycle Synchronization?—A Panel Data Approach," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 79(2), pages 318-332, 03.
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- F55 - International Economics - - International Relations and International Political Economy - - - International Institutional Arrangements
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-03-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2011-03-26 (Business Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2011-03-26 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-OPM-2011-03-26 (Open Economy Macroeconomic)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean Imbs, 2003.
"Trade, Finance, Specialization, and Synchronization,"
IMF Working Papers
03/81, International Monetary Fund.
- Jean Imbs, 2004. "Trade, Finance, Specialization, and Synchronization," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(3), pages 723-734, August.
- Imbs, Jean, 2003. "Trade, Finance, Specialization and Synchronization," CEPR Discussion Papers 3779, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rose, Andrew K, 1999.
"One Money, One Market: Estimating the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2329, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rose, Andrew, 1999. "One Money, One Market: Estimating the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade," Seminar Papers 678, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Andrew K. Rose, 1999. "One Money, One Market: Estimating the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade," NBER Working Papers 7432, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko, 2001. "The Endogeneity of optimum currency area criteria, intraindustry trade and EMU enlargement," BOFIT Discussion Papers 8/2001, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Kyoji Fukao & Debin Ma & Tangjun Yuan, 2007.
"Real Gdp In Pre-War East Asia: A 1934-36 Benchmark Purchasing Power Parity Comparison With The U.S,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 53(3), pages 503-537, 09.
- Kyoji Fukao & Debin Ma & Tangjun Yuan, 2006. "Real GDP in Pre-War East Asia: A 1934-36 Benchmark Purchasing Power Parity Comparison with the U.S," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d05-132, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Torsten Persson, 2001. "Currency unions and trade: how large is the treatment effect?," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 16(33), pages 433-462, October.
- Cerqueira, Pedro André & Martins, Rodrigo, 2009. "Measuring the determinants of business cycle synchronization using a panel approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 106-108, February.
- Robert Inklaar & Richard Jong-A-Pin & Jakob de Haan, 2005.
"Trade and Business Cycle Synchronization in OECD Countries - a Re-examination,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1546, CESifo Group Munich.
- Inklaar, Robert & Jong-A-Pin, Richard & de Haan, Jakob, 2008. "Trade and business cycle synchronization in OECD countries--A re-examination," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 646-666, May.
- Calderon, Cesar & Chong, Alberto & Stein, Ernesto, 2007.
"Trade intensity and business cycle synchronization: Are developing countries any different?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 2-21, March.
- César Calderón & Alberto Chong & Ernesto H. Stein, 2003. "Trade Intensity and Business Cycle Synchronization: Are Developing Countries any Different?," Research Department Publications 4315, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- César Calderón & Alberto Chong & Ernesto Stein, 2002. "Trade Intensity and Business Cycle Synchronization: Are Developing Countries Any Different?," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 195, Central Bank of Chile.
- Michael J. Artis & Toshihiro Okubo, 2011.
"Business Cycle, Currency and Trade, Revisited,"
Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series
2011-019, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Philippe Martin, 1999. "Two Waves of Globalisation: Superficial Similarities, Fundamental Differences," NBER Working Papers 6904, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew K. Rose & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "National Money as a Barrier to International Trade: The Real Case for Currency Union," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 386-390, May.
- Artis, Michael & Okubo, Toshihiro, 2009.
"Globalization and business cycle transmission,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 91-99, August.
- Artis, Michael J & Okubo, Toshihiro, 2008. "Globalization and Business Cycle Transmission," CEPR Discussion Papers 7041, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Artis & Toshihiro Okubo, 2008. "Globalization and Business Cycle Transmission," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 110, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Michael Artis & Toshihiro Okubo, 2008. "Globalization and Business Cycle Transmission," Discussion Paper Series 232, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Pedro Cerqueira, 2013.
"A closer look at the world business cycle synchronization,"
International Economics and Economic Policy,
Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 349-363, September.
- Pedro André Cerqueira, 2010. "A Closer Look at the World Business Cycle Synchronization," GEMF Working Papers 2010-21, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra, revised May 2012.
- David Matesanz Gomez & Guillermo J Ortega & Benno Torgler, 2012.
"Synchronization and Diversity in Business Cycles: A Network Approach Applied to the European Union,"
School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series
277, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- David Matesanz Gomez & Guillermo J. Ortega & Benno Torgler, 2012. "Synchronization and Diversity in Business Cycles: A Network Approach Applied to the European Union," CREMA Working Paper Series 2012-01, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Raj, Rajesh & Bordoloi, Sanjib & Bharti, Nalin, 2011. "Assessing the Role of Trade in Transmission of Global Financial Crisis to the Indian Economy," MPRA Paper 40208, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2011.
- Michael J. Artis & Toshihiro Okubo, 2012.
"Business Cycle, Currency And Trade, Revisited,"
Pacific Economic Review,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(1), pages 160-180, 02.
- Michael J. Artis & Toshihiro Okubo, 2011. "Business Cycle, Currency and Trade, Revisited," Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series 2011-019, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
- Cesar Sobrino & Ellis Heath, 2013. "Currency Area and Non-synchronized Business Cycles between the US and Puerto Rico," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(3), pages 1948-1958.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Office of Promoting Research Collaboration, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.