Organizational Dynamics and Strcuture in the Chinese Pharmaceutical Industry: A Technological System Perspective
AbstractThis paper investigates the institutional and organizational sources of change and persistence in the technological systems which bring new products to market in the Chinese pharmaceutical industry. Even after fifteen years of economic reforms, research institutes, manufacturers and wholesalers have not moved significantly beyond their functional boundaries established decades ago under the command economy. The industry is still characterized by organizationally dis-integrated technological systems. However, the dynamics underlying this structure have change dramatically with reforms. Further, there are signs that these organizations are pursuing alternative strategies for securing complementary assets, which is leading to greater variation in technological system structure.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University in its series Discussion Paper Series with number 85.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: Oct 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2-1 Rokkodai, Nada, Kobe 657-8501 JAPAN
Phone: +81-(0)78 803 7036
Fax: +81-(0)78 803 7059
Web page: http://www.rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp/index-e.html
More information through EDIRC
Pharmaceutical industry; Technological change;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L65 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Chemicals; Rubber; Drugs; Biotechnology
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Office of Promoting Research Collaboration, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.