Euroland's trade with the rest of the world: An SNA-based estimation
AbstractThe paper presents an estimation of Euroland's foreign trade with the rest of the world based on the exports and imports of the eleven member states of the European Monetary Union according to their Systems of National Accounts (SNA). In order to isolate the trade with the rest of the world from intra- European trade flows, the share of intra-trade is derived from customs statistics. Once the time series are constructed, real exports are regressed on indexes of industrial production abroad and the real external value of the ecu - both calculated with respect to the 20 most important trading partners - using an error correction model. The estimation results are used to forecast Euroland's exports in 1998 and 1999.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 888.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Ecu; Euro; error correction model; export forecast; intra-European trade; real external value;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Boss, Alfred & Döpke, Jörg & Fischer, Malte & Langfeldt, Enno & Schatz, Klaus-Werner & Scheide, Joachim, 1997. "Bundesrepublik Deutschland: Exportboom treibt Konjunktur," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 1727, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Hubert Strauß, 2001. "Euroland's Trade with Third Countries: An Estimation Based on NIPA Data," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 70(3), pages 434-449.
- Boss, Alfred & Gern, Klaus-Jürgen & Meier, Carsten-Patrick & Scheide, Joachim & Schlie, Markus, 1999. "Für potentialorientierte Geldpolitik und Steuerwettbewerb in Euroland," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 2265, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Kamps, Christophe & Meier, Carsten-Patrick & Scheide, Joachim, 2000. "Euroland: kräftiger Aufschwung, zunehmende Stabilitätsrisiken," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 2401, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.