Emerging East-West collaborative networks: An appraisal
AbstractAlthough an extensive amount of literature reviews emerging patterns of east-west co-operation, it is not easy to grasp the state of the art. Too many of the books, articles and papers tend to mark the trees rather than to map the forest. The paper analyses recent trends from the point of view of modern economics which emphasizes the growing use of a wide variety of new types of co-operative mechanisms between firms in organizing international business. It takes an appraising look at the outcome of a recent research project of a group of scholars from east and west. The paper comes to the conclusion that east-west integration is proceeding at a considerable rate. But it is dominated by shallow modes - by arm's length transactions and contract work. To a certain extent, this might reflect new patterns of inter-firm co-operation. But this might also be an indication that co-operation with partners in CECTs is still in a flat state. Eastern firms find it hard to obtain an adequate position in international networks. Their lack of competence, reliability and reputation is often an insurmountable barrier. Accordingly, they must improve upon their technological and organizational standards to be considered by western firms as competent, reliable and trustworthy and, hence, equal partners in collaborational networks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 882.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D2 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations
- D8 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty
- F02 - International Economics - - General - - - International Economic Order; Noneconomic International Organizations;; Economic Integration and Globalization: General
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- F2 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Landesmann,Michael A. & Székely,István P. (ed.), 1995. "Industrial Restructuring and Trade Reorientation in Eastern Europe," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521480857, April.
- Gerling, Katja, 1997. "East-west corporate networking: A theoretical approach," Kiel Working Papers 805, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Estrin, Saul, 1994. "Comments : The behaviour of state firms in eastern Europe, pre-privatization by P. Aghion, O. Blanchard and R. Burgess," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 1350-1356, June.
- Siebert, Horst, 1994. "Comments : The behaviour of state firms in eastern Europe, pre-privatization by P. Aghion, O. Blanchard and R. Burgess," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 1357-1361, June.
- Agarwal, Jamuna Prasad & Langhammer, Rolf J. & Lücke, Matthias & Nunnenkamp, Peter, 1995. "Export expansion and diversification in Central and Eastern Europe : what can be learnt from East and Southeast Asia?," Kiel Discussion Papers 261, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Peter Huber, 2003.
"On the Determinants of Cross-border Cooperation of Austrian Firms with Central and Eastern European Partners,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(9), pages 947-955.
- Peter Huber, 2003. "On the Determinants of Cross Border Co-operation of Austrian Firms with Central and Eastern European Partners," WIFO Working Papers 201, WIFO.
- Peter Huber, 2003. "On the Determinants of Cross Border Co-operation of Austrian Firms with Central and Eastern European Partners," ERSA conference papers ersa03p238, European Regional Science Association.
- Radosevic, Slavo, 1999. "Transformation of science and technology systems into systems of innovation in central and eastern Europe: the emerging patterns and determinants," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 277-320, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.