Investment behavior in dynamic computable general equilibrium models for transition economies
AbstractThis paper suggests a method of approximating the development of investment in transition economies through an amendment of the standard adjustment cost formulation for investment within dynamic Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) models. Letting adjustment cost depend on the difference between the investment levels of two periods (rather than only on the gross investment ratio) leads to an investment behavior of the representative household that resembles the observed time paths of investment in transition countries. In contrast to standard adjustment costs, which predict a sharp rise in investment due to the high marginal productivity of each unit of capital after a capital shock, augmented adjustment costs lead to a gradual rise in investment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 879.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Computable General Equilibrium Model; Transition; Adjustment Costs; Investment Behavior;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- P20 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerlinde Sinn & Hans-Werner Sinn, 1994. "Jumpstart: The Economic Unification of Germany," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262691728, June.
- Noren, Ronny, 1998. "Industrial Transformation in the Open Economy: A Multisectoral View," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 111-117, February.
- Victor Ginsburgh & Michiel Keyzer, 2002.
"The Structure of Applied General Equilibrium Models,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262571579, June.
- Victor Ginsburgh & Michiel Keyzer, 2002. "The structure of applied general equilibrium models," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/3313, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Victor Ginsburgh & Michiel Keyzer, 1997. "The structure of applied general equilibrium models," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1653, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Francois, Joseph & Nordström, Håkan & Shiells, Clinton R., 1996. "Transition Dynamics and Trade Policy Reform in Developing Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 1452, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Braber, M. C. & Cohen, S. I. & Revesz, T. & Zolkiewski, Z., 1996. "Policy modeling under fixed and flexible price regimes: SAM-CGE transitional applications to Poland and Hungary," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 495-529, October.
- Brown, D. & Deardorff & A. & Djankov, S. & Stern, R., 1995.
"An Economic Assessment of the Integration of Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Poland into the European Union,"
8, American Institute for Contemporary German Studies-.
- Deardoff, A.V. & Brown, D.K. & Stern, R.M. & Djankov, S.D., 1995. "An Economic Assessment of the Integration of Czechoslovakia, Hungary, and Poland into the Europan Union," Working Papers 380, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Castanheira, Micael & Roland, Gérard, 1996. "Restructuring and Capital Accumulation in Transition Economies: A General Equilibrium Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 1372, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Piazolo, Daniel, 1997. "Trade Integration between Eastern and Western Europe: Policies Follow the Market," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 12, pages 259-297.
- Hare, Paul & Revesz, Tamas & Zalai, Erno, 1993. "Modeling an economy in transition: trade adjustment policies for Hungary," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 15(5-6), pages 625-652.
- Klepper, Gernot & Lorz, Jens Oliver & Stähler, Frank & Thiele, Rainer & Wiebelt, Manfred, 1993. "Empirische allgemeine Gleichgewichts-Modelle: Struktur und Anwendungsmöglichkeiten," Kiel Working Papers 595, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Breuss, Fritz & Tesche, Jean, 1993. "Hungary in transition: a computable general equilibrium model comparison with Austria," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 15(5-6), pages 581-623.
- Roberts, Barbara M, 1994. " Calibration Procedure and the Robustness of CGE Models: Simulations with a Model for Poland," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 189-210.
- Robert E. Lucas & Jr., 1967. "Adjustment Costs and the Theory of Supply," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 321.
- Zhang, Xiao-guang, 1998. "Modeling Economic Transition: A Two-Tier Price Computable General Equilibrium Model of the Chinese Economy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 483-511, August.
- Lúcio Vinhas de Souza, 2004.
"A Wider Europe: Trade Relations Between an Enlarged EU and the Russian Federation,"
CASE Network Studies and Analyses
0279, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- LÃºcio Vinhas De Souza, 2006. "A Wider Europe: Trade Relations Between an Enlarged EU and the Russian Federation," Problems of Economic Transition, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 49(2), pages 6-33, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.