Trade, Foreign direct investment, and multinational enterprises in a general equilibrium model
AbstractTrade, foreign direct investment and the existence of multinational enterprises are often analyzed in separate model, which are frequently based on mutually exclusive assumptions. The paper integrates several features of international economic exchange into one general equilibrium model. This model explains various types of trade (interindustry, intraindustry, intrafirm), foreign direct investment (one-way, cross-hauling of FDI), and the existence of multinational enterprises (vertically as well as horizontally integrated ones). With the market structure being endogeneous, different production, trade and investment patterns can occur. In order to assess the influence of country asymmetries (relative and absolute factor endowment differences) and transport costs on production patterns as well as trade and investment flows, simulation techniques are applied to various specifications of the model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 833.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1998.
"Multinational firms and the new trade theory,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 183-203, December.
- Markusen, James R., 1983. "Factor movements and commodity trade as complements," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3-4), pages 341-356, May.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1996.
"The Theory of Endowment, Intra-Industry and Multinational Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1341, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 2000. "The theory of endowment, intra-industry and multi-national trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 209-234, December.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1996. "The Theory of Endowment, Intra-Industry, and Multinational Trade," NBER Working Papers 5529, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables & Denise Eby Konan & Kevin H. Zhang, 1996.
"A Unified Treatment of Horizontal Direct Investment, Vertical Direct Investment, and the Pattern of Trade in Goods and Services,"
NBER Working Papers
5696, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J. & Eby Konan, Denise & Zhang, Kevin H., 1996. "A Unified Treatment of Horizontal Direct Investment, Vertical Direct Investment, and the Pattern of Trade in Goods and Services," Working Paper Series 465, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Brander, James A., 1981.
"Intra-industry trade in identical commodities,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 1-14, February.
- Ignatius Horstmann & James R. Markusen, 1987. "Licensing versus Direct Investment: A Model of Internalization by the Multinational Enterprise," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 20(3), pages 464-81, August.
- Markusen, James R., 1984. "Multinationals, multi-plant economies, and the gains from trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 205-226, May.
- Friedman,James, 1983.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521282444, December.
- Ignatius J. Horstmann & James R. Markusen, 1990. "Endogenous Market Structures in International Trade," NBER Working Papers 3283, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ethier, Wilfred J, 1986. "The Multinational Firm," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 101(4), pages 805-33, November.
- Rugman, Alan M, 1986. "New Theories of the Multinational Enterprise: An Assessment of Internalization Theory," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(2), pages 101-18, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.