Trade integration between Eastern and Western Europe: Politics follows the market
AbstractThis paper examines to what extent Eastern Europe trade reorientation towards the West has been driven by market forces versus policies for regional integration. Hierarchical cluster analysis based on bilateral trade intensity reveals the convergence of regional trade structures to the pre-World-War II pattern. Estimates of the expected trade pattern of Eastern Europe with a gravity model predict continuing rising importance of the EU. Furthermore, the assessment of the welfare implications of preferential access to EU markets shows that beneficial effects of trade expansion are likely to outweigh possible distortions. Hence integration policies follow the facts created by the market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 745.
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Stein, Ernesto & Wei, Shang-jin, 1995. "Trading blocs and the Americas: The natural, the unnatural, and the super-natural," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 61-95, June.
- Laaser, Claus-Friedrich & Schrader, Klaus, 1992. "Zur Reintegration der baltischen Staaten in die Weltwirtschaft," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 1526, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Deardorff, A.V., 1995.
"Determinants of Bilateral Trade : Does Gravity Work in a Neoclassical World?,"
95-05, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Alan Deardorff, 1998. "Determinants of Bilateral Trade: Does Gravity Work in a Neoclassical World?," NBER Chapters, in: The Regionalization of the World Economy, pages 7-32 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan V. Deardorff, 1995. "Determinants of Bilateral Trade: Does Gravity Work in a Neoclassical World?," NBER Working Papers 5377, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Havrylyshyn, Oleh & Pritchett, Lant, 1991. "European trade patterns after the transition," Policy Research Working Paper Series 748, The World Bank.
- Baldwin, Richard E., 1995. "The Eastern enlargement of the European Union," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 474-481, April.
- Schumacher, D., 1995.
"Impact on German Trade of Increased Division of Labor with Eastern Europe,"
6, American Institute for Contemporary German Studies-.
- Dieter Schumacher, 1995. "Impact on German Trade of Increased Division of Labour with Eastern Europe," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 116, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Deardoff, A.V., 1995. "Determinants of Bilateral Trade: Does Gravity Work in a Neoclassical World?," Working Papers 382, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Bikker, Jacob A, 1987. "An International Trade Flow Model with Substitution: An Extension of the Gravity Model," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 315-37.
- Lücke, Matthias, 1997. "Accession of CIS countries to the World Trade Organisation," Kiel Working Papers 796, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Szalavetz, Andrea & Lücke, Matthias, 1997. "Export reorientation and transfer of know-how and technology: the case of Hungarian manufactured exports," Kiel Working Papers 801, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Lücke, Matthias, 1996. "Die Auswirkungen des Handels mit Mittel- und Osteuropa auf den deutschen Arbeitsmarkt," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 1676, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Lev Freinkman & Evgeny Polyakov & Carolina Revenco, 2004. "Trade Performance and Regional Integration of the CIS Countries," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14933, March.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter, 1997. "Latin America and EU widening to the East: possible effects on trade and investments," Kiel Working Papers 828, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.