The impact of accession to GATT on trade-related policies of CIS countries: the case of Belarus
AbstractThis paper investigates which policies CIS countries need to reform when they accede to GATT. The objectives to be pursued through trade policy (e.g. raising fiscal revenue, protecting industries, regional integration) must be defined clearly when tariff levels are bound. Some streamlining (e.g. tariffication of export quotas) is also required. The format of regional integration with Russia (free trade area vs. customs union with joint GATT membership) must not discriminate against GATT contracting parties, and will be influenced by whether Russia is willing to export energy at its low domestic price. Furthermore, systemic reforms need to be accelerated to dispel concerns about discrimination against imports, or hidden subsidies for exports.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 678.
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade; CIS countries; Belarus; trade policy reform;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1992.
"Protection For Sale,"
NBER Working Papers
4149, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1992. "Protection for Sale," Papers 162, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan, 1993. "Protection for Sale," CEPR Discussion Papers 827, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1992. "Protection for Sale," Papers 21-92, Tel Aviv.
- Langhammer, Rolf J., 1994. "Designing new trade policies for the CIS states: legacies, barriers and prerequisites," Kiel Working Papers 625, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Heinrich, Ralph P. & Spinanger, Dean & Engerer, Hella & Lodahl, Maria & Schrettl, Wolfram & Schrooten, Mechthild & Gabrisch, Hubert & Sigmund, Peter, 1997.
"Die wirtschaftliche Lage der Republik Belarus: Verordnetes Wachstum ohne Perspektive? Elfter Bericht,"
Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy
982, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Buch, Claudia M. & Heinrich, Ralph P. & Spinanger, Dean & Engerer, Hella & Lodahl, Maria & Schrettl, Wolfram & Schrooten, Mechthild & Gabrisch, Hubert & Sigmund, Peter, 1997. "Die wirtschaftliche Lage der Republik Belarus: Verordnetes Wachstum ohne Perspektive? Elfter Bericht," Kiel Discussion Papers 307, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Langhammer, Rolf J. & Lücke, Matthias, 1995. "Trade among the Post-Soviet states: evolution and policy issues," Kiel Working Papers 708, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Marina Bakanova & L\303\272cio Vinhas de Souza, 2001. "Trade and Growth under Limited Liberalization, The Case of Belarus," International Trade 0108005, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.