The world trading system: Recent trends
AbstractTariffs no longer represent the most serious impediment to international trade. As the importance of tariffs in restricting free trade has been declining, non-tariff barriers are becoming increasingly important. The use of selected non-tariff barriers is analyzed, focusing on anti-dumping measures, voluntary export restraints, trade related investment measures, and trade related intellectual property rights. Coming multilateral negotiations will have to concentrate on non-tariff barriers. A first prerequisite for successful negotiations is to increase transparency of these instruments. Only if transparency is ensured, improved enforcement mechanisms can be implemented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 646.
Date of creation: 1994
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balasubramanyam, V. N., 1991.
"Putting TRIMs to good use,"
Elsevier, vol. 19(9), pages 1215-1224, September.
- David Greenaway, 1990.
"Trade Related Investment Measures: Political Economy Aspects and Issues for GATT,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(3), pages 367-385, 09.
- David Greenaway, 1990. "Trade Related Investment Measures: Political Economy Aspects and Issues for GATT," NBER Chapters, in: New Issues in the Uruguay Round, pages 367-385 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan V. Deardorff, 1990. "Should Patent Protection Be Extended to All Developing Countries?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 497-508, December.
- Alison Butler, 1990. "The trade-related aspects of intellectual property rights: what is at stake?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 34-46.
- P.K.M. Tharakan, 1993. "Contingent Protection: The US and the EC Anti-dumping Actions," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(5), pages 575-600, 09.
- Rolf Weidemann, 1990. "The anti-dumping policy of the European Communities," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 28-35, January.
- Arvind Subramanian, 1990. "TRIPs and the Paradigm of the GATT: a Tropical, Temperate View," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 509-522, December.
- repec:fth:michin:259 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.