Outward processing in Central and East European transition countries: Issues and results from German statistics
AbstractOur paper explores the recent trends in outward processing (OP) of German firms in former centrally planned economies (CPEs). We argue that OP is an interesting alternative to cross-border trade and equity foreign arrangements. We present the theoretical framework to understand OP as well as some facts and figures which may prove the empirical evidence. Finally, we discuss consequences for corporate restructuring in CPEs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 631.
Date of creation: 1994
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan Rugman, 1980. "Internalization as a general theory of foreign direct investment: A re-appraisal of the literature," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 116(2), pages 365-379, June.
- Schmidt, Klaus-Dieter & Naujoks, Petra, 1993. "Western enterprises on eastern markets: The German perspective," Kiel Working Papers 607, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Schmidt, Klaus-Dieter, 1996. "Small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) in international business: A survey of recent literature," Kiel Working Papers 721, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Naujoks, Petra & Schmidt, Klaus-Dieter, 1995. "Foreign direct investment and trade in transition countries: Tracing links. A sequel," Kiel Working Papers 704, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Pellegrin, Julie, 1999. "German production networks in Central, Eastern Europe: between dependency and globalisation," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Economic Change and Employment FS I 99-304, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Naujoks, Petra & Schmidt, Klaus-Dieter, 1995. "Foreign direct investment and trade in transition countries: Tracing links," Kiel Working Papers 667, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Salvatore Baldone & Fabio Sdogati & Lucia Tajoli, 2001. "Patterns and determinants of international fragmentation of production: Evidence from outward processing trade between the EU and Central Eastern European countries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 137(1), pages 80-104, March.
- Schmidt, Klaus-Dieter, 1995. "Motives of large multinationals investing in small transition countries: A literature review," Kiel Working Papers 668, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.