Demand bias as an explanation for structural change
AbstractAn income elastic demand for services is usually regarded as one of the major explanations for the observed pattern of structural change in the world economy. Recent empirical findings cast some doubt on this demand-bias hypothesis. This paper presents a simple model of structural change that allows an assessment of the implications of alternative demand elasticities. The analysis focusses on restrictions for the set of consistent parameter values derived from demand theory. The results show that lagging productivity growth in the service sector and a homothetic or income inelastic demand for services do not suffice to explain the stylized facts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 594.
Date of creation: 1993
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Gundlach, Erich, 1994. "Demand Bias as an Explanation for Structural Change," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(2), pages 249-67.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Locay, Luis, 1990. "Economic Development and the Division of Production between Households and Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 965-82, October.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Gundlach, Erich, 1993. "Die Dienstleistungsnachfrage als Determinante des wirtschaftlichen Strukturwandels," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 763, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H, 1991. "Structural Determinants of Real Exchange Rates and National Price Levels: Some Empirical Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 325-34, March.
- Inman,Robert P., 1989. "Managing the Service Economy: Prospects and Problems," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521378581, October.
- Hammes, David L & Rosa, Jean-Jacques & Grubel, Herbert G, 1989. "The National Accounts, Household Service Consumption and Its Monetization," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 3-15.
- Stijepic, Denis & Wagner, Helmut, 2008. "Impacts of Intermediate Trade on Structural Change," MPRA Paper 40841, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 23 Aug 2012.
- Henk L.M. Kox, 2003. "Sources of structural growth in business services," Industrial Organization 0309004, EconWPA.
- Pugno, Maurizio, 2006.
"The service paradox and endogenous economic growth,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 99-115, January.
- Maurizio Pugno, 2003. "The service paradox and endogenous economic growth," Department of Economics Working Papers 0301, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Michael Mesch, 1997. "Die Ursachen der Beschäftigungsentwicklung im Dienstleistungssektor," Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft - WuG, Kammer für Arbeiter und Angestellte für Wien, Abteilung Wirtschaftswissenschaft und Statistik, vol. 23(1), pages 11-54.
- Jochen Hartwig, 2010.
"Baumol's Diseases: The Case of Switzerland,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 146(III), pages 533-552, September.
- Jochen Hartwig, 2010.
"Testing the growth effects of structural change,"
KOF Working papers
10-264, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Groot, H.L.F. de, 1998. "The Determination and Development of Sectoral Structure," Discussion Paper 1998-125, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Gundlach, Erich & Nunnenkamp, Peter, 1997. "Labor markets in the global economy: how to prevent rising wage gaps and unemployment," Kiel Discussion Papers 305, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Sasaki, Hiroaki, 2007. "The rise of service employment and its impact on aggregate productivity growth," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 438-459, December.
- Kurose, Kazuhiro, 2009. "The relation between the speed of demand saturation and the dynamism of the labour market," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 151-159, June.
- Andreja Benkovic & Juan Felipe Mejía, 2008.
"Tourism as a driver of economic development: The Colombian experience,"
DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO CIEF
010630, UNIVERSIDAD EAFIT.
- Benković, Andreja & Mejía, Juan Felipe, 2008. "Tourism as a driver of economic development: The Colombian experience," Violette Reihe Arbeitspapiere 26/2008, Promotionsschwerpunkt "Globalisierung und Beschaeftigung".
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.