Optimal resource extraction under stochastic terms of trade
AbstractThis paper examines the case where a small open economy owns a stock of exhaustible resources like Chromium, Copper etc. which are not consumed domestically but exported. The resource earnings are used to import consumption goods. We will discuss the optimal production of this resource, when the terms of trade (faced by the country) follows an exogenous given time path that is subject to some stochastic fluctuations. It will come about that uncertainty concerning future values of the terms of trade affects the extraction dynamics for the following reasons. First, if the functions involved in the first-order conditions are nonlinear, the expected future value of these functions differs from a world of certainty. Consequently uncertainty has an impact on the behaviour of resource-exporting- countries. Note that this change in behaviour cannot be captured with certaintyequivalence. Second, if the costs of extraction exceed the gain from the resource use for some time due to stochastic fluctuations, the country can keep the resource in the ground but maintain the option of future extraction when depletion will become profitable again. So uncertainty creates an incentive to slow down production.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 395.
Date of creation: 1989
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1980.
"The optimal production of an exhaustible resource when price is exogenous and stochastic,"
1162-80., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1981. " The Optimal Production of an Exhaustible Resource When Price is Exogenous and Stochastic," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 83(2), pages 277-88.
- Loury, Glenn C, 1978.
"The Optimal Exploitation of an Unknown Reserve,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(3), pages 621-36, October.
- Arrow, Kenneth J. & Chang, Sheldon, 1982. "Optimal pricing, use, and exploration of uncertain natural resource stocks," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-10, March.
- Deshmukh, Sudhakar D & Pliska, Stanley R, 1980. "Optimal Consumption and Exploration of Nonrenewable Resources under Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 177-200, January.
- Lewis, T. R., 1976.
"Attitudes Toward Risk and the Optimal Exploitation of an Exhaustible Resource,"
103, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Lewis, Tracy R., 1977. "Attitudes towards risk and the optimal exploitation of an exhaustible resource," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 111-119, June.
- John M. Hartwick, 1983.
"Learning about and Exploiting Exhaustible Resource Deposits of Uncertain Size,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 16(3), pages 391-410, August.
- John Hartwick, 1981. "Learning About and Exploiting Exhaustible Resource Deposits of Uncertain Size," Working Papers 456, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Deshmukh, Sudhakar D & Pliska, Stanley R, 1983. "Optimal Consumption of a Nonrenewable Resource with Stochastic Discoveries and a Random Environment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 543-54, July.
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1980. "Uncertainty and Exhaustible Resource Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(6), pages 1203-25, December.
- Long, Ngo Van, 1975. "Resource extraction under the uncertainty about possible nationalization," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 42-53, February.
- Gilbert, Richard J, 1979. "Optimal Depletion of an Uncertain Stock," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 47-57, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.