Is structural unemployment a negligible problem? A critical note on the use of mismatch indices
AbstractSince the mid-seventies, the general public of some European countries has been listening to a growing chorus of economists and politicians who lament the rising regional imbalances of unemployment. The chorus is especially large in Britain and West Germany where both an approximate north-south divide began to take shape, with the old industrial north and north-west apparently losing ground to the still flourishing south in the common fight against low growth and high unemployment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 357.
Date of creation: 1989
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jackman, R & Roper, S, 1987. "Structural Unemployment," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 49(1), pages 9-36, February.
- Klodt, Henning, 1988. "Industrial policy and repressed structural change in West Germany," Kiel Working Papers 322, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Franz, Wolfgang & Konig, Heinz, 1986. "The Nature and Causes of Unemployment in the Federal Republic of Germany since the 1970s: An Empirical Investigation," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 53(210(S)), pages S219-44, Supplemen.
- Paqué, Karl-Heinz, 1990. "Unemployment in West Germany: A survey of explanations and policy options," Kiel Working Papers 407, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Paqué, Karl-Heinz, 1992. "Measuring structural unemployment: Some neglected issues," Kiel Working Papers 505, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Paqué, Karl-Heinz, 1989. "Micro-macro links in West Germany's unemployment," Kiel Working Papers 378, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.