Internal and external liberalisation for faster growth
AbstractThis paper is an attempt to bring the two sides together. It will demonstrate, on the, one hand, - that internal and external liberalisation of trade in goods and services does substantially raise potential output and its growth path and - that it, therefore, pays to anticipate these gains in conceiving and conducting macro-economic policies. On the other hand, it will be argued that a macro-economic policy that is trade oriented and forward looking in this sense would allow trade negotiators and deregulators to deemphasise the direct losses of output and employment expected from removing restrictions and to anticipate a pull of demand that will facilitate the transfer of resources to alternative uses.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 275.
Date of creation: 1986
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heitger, Bernhard, 1986. "Import protection and export performance: Their impact on economic growth," Kiel Working Papers 260, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Anne O. Krueger, 1983. "Trade and Employment in Developing Countries, 3: Synthesis and Conclusions," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number krue83-1.
- Michaely, Michael, 1977. "Exports and growth : An empirical investigation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 49-53, February.
- Donges, Juergen B., 1986. "Whither international trade policies? Worries about continuing protectionism," Kiel Discussion Papers 125, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Lal, Deepak & Rajapatirana, Sarath, 1987. "Foreign Trade Regimes and Economic Growth in Developing Countries," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 2(2), pages 189-217, July.
- Lücke, Matthias, 1987. "Scale efficiency in the Brazilian motor vehicle industry: an international comparison," Kiel Working Papers 298, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Krämer, Hans R., 1987. "Rechtliche Aspekte und Probleme der Vollendung des EG-Binnenmarktes," Kiel Working Papers 310, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.