Economic Crisis in Argentina and no way out?
AbstractArgentina has made the headlines of international media not only for its successful return to democratic political rules in December 1983 but also for its renewed slump into economic crisis. The country is no longer able to meet the debt servicing requirements and to repay loans due this year while auspices for rescheduling and extending foreign debt are bleak. As a corollary tovexternal problems, there are high public sector deficits, inflation is accelerating at a galopping pace, and net private investment has turned negative. Up to now, the new democratic government has not lived up to expectations since it did not present a reform package designed to overcome the severe economic problems of the country. Rather, the government has relied on some ad-hoc emergency measures in an attempt to prevent the crisis from turning into catastrophy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 210.
Date of creation: 1984
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pedro Aspe Armella & Rudiger Dornbusch & Maurice Obstfeld, 1983. "Introduction to "Financial Policies and the World Capital Market: The Problem of Latin American Countries"," NBER Chapters, in: Financial Policies and the World Capital Market: The Problem of Latin American Countries, pages 1-4 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pedro Aspe Armella & Rudiger Dornbusch & Maurice Obstfeld, 1983. "Financial Policies and the World Capital Market: The Problem of Latin American Countries," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number arme83-1, October.
- Nogues, Julio J., 1983. "Alternative trade strategies and employment in the Argentine manufacturing sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 11(12), pages 1029-1042, December.
- Carlos A. Rodríguez, 1984.
"Inflación, Salario Real y Tipo Real de Cambio,"
CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo.
41, Universidad del CEMA.
- Carlos Alfredo Rodríguez, 1984. "Inflación, Salario Real y Tipo Real de Cambio," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 21(64), pages 247-262.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter, 1987. "Die Rolle der Regierungen in Schuldner- und Gläubigerländern bei der Überwindung von Verschuldungsproblemen in der Dritten Welt," Open Access publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy info:hdl:10419/1346, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter, 1986. "Das internationale Schuldenproblem: Ein Fall für die Regierungen der Gläubigerländer? Eine kritische Analyse des Baker-Plans," Kiel Discussion Papers 117, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.