On Assortative and Disassortative Mixing Scale-Free Networks: The Case of Interbank Credit Networks
AbstractNetworks constructed from credit relationships in the interbank market have been found to exhibit disassortative mixing together with a scale-free degree distribution, in contrast to most social networks that are assortative and not necessarily scale-free. This provokes the question whether generating mechanisms for scale-free networks have enough flexibility to generate both assortative and disassortative structures depending on their parametrization. Using Monte-Carlo simulations, we show that scale-free networks with a small tail exponent tend to be disassortative. However, the simulations indicate also that the level of disassortativity is sensitive to changes in the scaling exponent and the density. A given combination of disassortativity, scaling of the degree distribution, and density in an empirical data set, might be hard or impossible to obtain from any of the known generating mechanisms for scale-free networks
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 1830.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2013
Date of revision:
Interbank Market; Network Models; Scale-Free Networks; Powerlaw;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2013-03-02 (Banking)
- NEP-NET-2013-03-02 (Network Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kimmo Soramaki & Morten L. Bech & Jeffrey Arnold & Robert J. Glass & Walter Beyeler, 2006.
"The topology of interbank payment flows,"
243, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Soramäki, Kimmo & Bech, Morten L. & Arnold, Jeffrey & Glass, Robert J. & Beyeler, Walter E., 2007. "The topology of interbank payment flows," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 379(1), pages 317-333.
- Michael D. König & Claudio J. Tessone & Yves Zenou, 2010.
"From Assortative To Dissortative Networks: The Role Of Capacity Constraints,"
Advances in Complex Systems (ACS),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 13(04), pages 483-499.
- Michael D. K\"onig & Claudio J. Tessone & Yves Zenou, . "From Assortative to Dissortative Networks: The Role of Capacity Constraints," Working Papers CCSS-10-012, ETH Zurich, Chair of Systems Design.
- König, Michael & Tessone, Claudio J. & Zenou, Yves, 2010. "From Assortative to Dissortative Networks: The Role of Capacity Constraints," CEPR Discussion Papers 8052, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Karl Finger & Daniel Fricke & Thomas Lux, 2013.
"Network analysis of the e-MID overnight money market: the informational value of different aggregation levels for intrinsic dynamic processes,"
Computational Management Science,
Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 187-211, June.
- Karl Finger & Daniel Fricke & Thomas Lux, 2012. "Network Analysis of the e-MID Overnight Money Market: The Informational Value of Different Aggregation Levels for Intrinsic Dynamic Processes," Kiel Working Papers 1782, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- G. De Masi & G. Iori & G. Caldarelli, 2006.
"A fitness model for the Italian Interbank Money Market,"
- de Masi, G. & Iori, G. & Caldarelli, G., 2006. "A fitness model for the Italian interbank money market," Working Papers 06/08, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Beaupain, Renaud & Durré, Alain, 2012. "Nonlinear liquidity adjustments in the euro area overnight money market," Working Paper Series 1500, European Central Bank.
- Thomas Lux, Daniel Fricke, 2012. "Core-Periphery Structure in the Overnight Money Market: Evidence from the e-MID Trading Platform," Kiel Working Papers 1759, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Leonardo Bargigli & Giovanni Di Iasio & Luigi Infante & Fabrizio Lillo & Federico Pierobon, 2013.
"The Multiplex Structure of Interbank Networks,"
Working Papers - Economics
wp2013_26.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Schrader, Klaus & Bencek, David & Laaser, Claus-Friedrich, 2013. "IfW-Krisencheck: Alles wieder gut in Griechenland?," Kiel Discussion Papers 522/523, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.