Family Firm Internationalization: Influence of Familiness on the Spanish Firm Export Activity
AbstractThis paper studies the determinants of the export activity of family SMEs, disentangling the three main dimensions that comprise the concept of familiness: power, experience, and culture. The results, using the F-PEC scale over a sample of 500 Spanish SMEs, show that this approach identifies the determinants that explain the export activity of family SMEs better than a simple dichotomous approach. Specifically, we find that the expertise transmitted from different generations and the family culture orientation to the firm positively affect the international activities of family SMEs; however, the composition of the firm control–management does not have any significant influence on internationalization
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 1770.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2012
Date of revision:
Family SMEs; export activity; Familiness; Spanish firms; F-PEC scale;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D22 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Empirical Analysis
- M16 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - International Business Administration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2012-07-14 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2012-07-14 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENT-2012-07-14 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-HME-2012-07-14 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-INT-2012-07-14 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sami Basly, 2007. "The internationalization of family SME," Post-Print hal-00465863, HAL.
- Kazunobu Hayakawa & Tomohiro Machikita & Fukunari Kimura, 2012.
"Globalization And Productivity: A Survey Of Firm‐Level Analysis,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 332-350, 04.
- Hayakawa, Kazunobu & Kimura, Fukunari & Machikita, Tomohiro, 2010. "Globalization and productivity : a survey of firm-level analysis," IDE Discussion Papers 252, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Christopher F Baum, 2006. "An Introduction to Modern Econometrics using Stata," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, number imeus, July.
- Jaskiewicz, P. & González, V.M. & Menéndez, S. & Schiereck, D., 2005. "Long-run IPO Performance Analysis of German and Spanish Family-Owned Business," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 35079, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.