Why do within firm-product export prices differ across markets?
AbstractIn this paper we analyze the relationship between gravity variables and f.o.b. export unit values using Hungarian firm-product-destination data. By taking firm-product level selection into account we show that export unit values increase with distance even for particular firm-product level selection and constant markups. The differences are important quantitatively; price differences in Hungarian exports between Germany and the US are about 30%. We also show that unit values are positively related to GDP/capita and that there is a weak negative relationship between unit values and market size. We propose two possible explanations: first, firms may export different quality versions of the same product to different markets. Secondly, directly exporting firms may capture part of the markups on transport cots in their f.o.b. prices
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 1596.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2010
Date of revision:
export; price; selection; Hungary;
Other versions of this item:
- Görg, Holger & Halpern, László & Muraközy, Balázs, 2010. "Why do within firm-product export prices differ across markets?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7708, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Holger Gorg & Laszlo Halpern & Balazs Murakozy, 2010. "Why Do Within Firm-Product Export Prices Differ across Markets?," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1003, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-03-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2010-03-13 (Business Economics)
- NEP-INT-2010-03-13 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johnson, Robert C., 2012. "Trade and prices with heterogeneous firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 43-56.
- Crozet, Matthieu & Head, Keith & Mayer, Thierry, 2009.
"Quality sorting and trade: Firm-level evidence for French wine,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7295, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matthieu Crozet & Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2012. "Quality Sorting and Trade: Firm-level Evidence for French Wine," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 79(2), pages 609-644.
- Crozet, Matthieu & Head, Keith & Mayer, Thierry, 2009. "Quality Sorting And Trade: Firm-Level Evidence For French Wine," Working Papers 53883, American Association of Wine Economists.
- Matthieu Crozet & Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2009. "Quality sorting and trade: Firm-level evidence for French wine," Sciences Po publications 7295, Sciences Po.
- Matthieu Crozet & Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2009. "Quality Sorting and Trade: Firm-Level Evidence for French Wine," Working Papers 2009-14, CEPII research center.
- David Hummels & Alexandre Skiba, 2004.
"Shipping the Good Apples Out? An Empirical Confirmation of the Alchian-Allen Conjecture,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(6), pages 1384-1402, December.
- David Hummels & Alexandre Skiba, 2002. "Shipping the Good Apples Out? An Empirical Confirmation of the Alchian-Allen Conjecture," NBER Working Papers 9023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hallak, Juan Carlos & Sivadasan, Jagadeesh, 2008. "Productivity, quality and exporting behavior under minimum quality constraints," MPRA Paper 24146, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gábor Békés & Péter Harasztosi & Balázs Muraközy, 2009.
"Firms and Products in International Trade: Data and Patterns for Hungary,"
CeFiG Working Papers
9, Center for Firms in the Global Economy, revised 12 Oct 2009.
- Gabor Bekes & Peter Harasztosi & Balazs Murakozy, 2009. "Firms and Products in International Trade: Data and Patterns for Hungary," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0919, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Richard Kneller & Zhihong Yu, . "Quality Selection, Chinese Exports and Theories of Heterogeneous Firm Trade," Discussion Papers 08/44, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Martin, Julien, 2012.
"Markups, quality, and transport costs,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 777-791.
- Francesco DI COMITE & Jacques-François THISSE & Hylke VANDENBUSSCHE, 2011.
"Verti-zontal Differentiation in Monopolistic Competition,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2011046, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Di Comite, Francesco & Thisse, Jacques-François & Vandenbussche, Hylke, 2012. "Verti-zontal Differentiation in Monopolistic Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 8752, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francesco Di Comite & Jacques-François Thisse & Hylke Vandenbussche, 2011. "Verti-zontal Differentiation in Monopolistic Competition," Development Working Papers 322, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano, revised 17 Oct 2011.
- Francesco Di Comite & Jacques-François Thisse & Hylke Vandenbussche, 2011. "Verti-zontal differentiation in monopolistic competition," Working Paper Research 216, National Bank of Belgium.
- Francesco Di Comite & Jean-François Thisse & Hylke Vandenbussche, 2011. "Vert-zonal Differentiation in Monopolistic Competition," LICOS Discussion Papers 30011, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Békés, Gábor & Muraközy, Balázs & Harasztosi, Péter, 2011. "Firms and products in international trade: Evidence from Hungary," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 4-24, March.
- repec:hal:cesptp:hal-00959398 is not listed on IDEAS
- James Harrigan & Xiangjun Ma & Victor Shlychkov, 2011.
"Export Prices of U.S. Firms,"
11-42, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- F. Banu Demir, 2011. "Trading Tasks and Quality," Economics Series Working Papers 582, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Rollo, Valentina, 2012. "Determinants of Tanzanian export prices," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6225, The World Bank.
- Gullstrand, Joakim & Olofsdotter, Karin & Thede, Susanna, 2011. "Markups and export pricing," Working Papers 2011:37, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Maria Bas & Vanessa Strauss-Kahn, 2013. "Input-Trade Liberalization, Export Prices and Quality Upgrading," Sciences Po Economics Discussion Papers 2013-13, Sciences Po Departement of Economics.
- Daria Pus & László Mátyás & Cecilia Hornok, 2013. "Modelling Firm-Product Level Trade: A Multi-Dimensional Random Effects Panel Data Approach," CEU Working Papers 2013_2, Department of Economics, Central European University, revised 08 May 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.