Academia-Industry Linkages and the Role of Active Innovation Policies – Firm-level Evidence in Hong Kong
AbstractThis paper analyses academia-industry linkages of the Hong Kong (HK) electronics small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and investigates the role of active innovation policies in this regard. It uses data collected from a questionnaire survey in HK, focusing on three main academia-industry linkages: academic institutions as training bases, as innovation sources and as innovation partners for companies. Our analysis results show that HK companies tend to rely on hiring highly-qualified labour trained by academic institutions to gain access to advanced academic knowledge. In contrast, they do not yet perceive academic institutions as important sources or partners for their innovation activities; however, their willingness to do so seems to be positively affected by the active innovation policies on site
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 1577.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2009
Date of revision:
academia-industry linkage; innovation policy; Hong Kong; China;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O38 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Government Policy
- R10 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vea, Reynaldo B., 2014. "Industry-Academe Collaboration for Research and Development," Discussion Papers DP 2014-10, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.