Less Aid Proliferation and More Donor Coordination? The Wide Gap between Words and Deeds
AbstractWe present a two-step approach of assessing whether major donors of foreign aid have met recent demands for less proliferated and better coordinated aid efforts. First, we calculate Theil indices revealing the concentration of each donor’s aid on recipient countries and specific aid sectors. Second, we map overlaps of aid from different donors and over time to analyze the degree of coordination. Our results point to a wide and persistent gap between the rhetoric of political declarations and the donors’ actual aid allocation during the period 1995-2006. Few donors have specialized on a limited set of recipients and aid sectors, and coordination has remained elusive
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 1516.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2009
Date of revision:
aid allocation; sector-specific commitments; Theil index; donor coordination; overlaps;
Other versions of this item:
- I�aki Aldasoro & Peter Nunnenkamp & Rainer Thiele, 2010. "Less aid proliferation and more donor coordination? The wide gap between words and deeds," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 920-940.
- F35 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Aid
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- ARIMOTO Yutaka & KONO Hisaki, 2007.
"Foreign Aid and Recurrent Cost: Donor Competition, Aid Proliferation and Budget Support,"
07051, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Yutaka Arimoto & Hisaki Kono, 2009. "Foreign Aid and Recurrent Cost: Donor Competition, Aid Proliferation, and Budget Support," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(2), pages 276-287, 05.
- O'Connell, Stephen A. & Soludo, Charles C., 2001. "Aid Intensity in Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1527-1552, September.
- Knack, Stephen & Rahman, Aminur, 2007.
"Donor fragmentation and bureaucratic quality in aid recipients,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 176-197, May.
- Knack, Stephen & Rahman, Aminur, 2004. "Donor fragmentation and bureaucratic quality in aid recipients," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3186, The World Bank.
- Grubel, Herbert G & Lloyd, P J, 1971. "The Empirical Measurement of Intra- Industry Trade," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 47(120), pages 494-517, December.
- Arnab Acharya & Ana Teresa Fuzzo de Lima & Mick Moore, 2006. "Proliferation and fragmentation: Transactions costs and the value of aid," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 1-21.
- Berthelemy, Jean-Claude & Tichit, Ariane, 2004.
"Bilateral donors' aid allocation decisions--a three-dimensional panel analysis,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 253-274.
- Berthelemy, Jean-Claude & Tichit, Ariane, 2002. "Bilateral Donors' Aid Allocation Decisions: A Three-dimensional Panel Analysis," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- David Roodman, 2006. "Competitive Proliferation of Aid Projects: A Model," Working Papers 89, Center for Global Development.
- Jayant Menon & Peter B. Dixon,, . "Regional Trading Agreements and Intra-Industry Trade," Discussion Papers 95/14, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Öhler, Hannes, 2013.
"Do Aid Donors Coordinate Within Recipient Countries?,"
539, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics.
- Öhler, Hannes, 2013. "Do Aid Donors Coordinate Within Recipient Countries?," Working Papers 0539, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics.
- Aurore Gary & Mathilde Maurel, 2013. "The effect of donors' policy coherence on growth," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00825816, HAL.
- Acharya, Arnab & Alvarez, Melisa Mart.nez, 2012. "Aid Effectiveness in the Health Sector," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Peter Nunnenkamp & Hannes Öhler & Rainer Thiele, 2013.
"Donor coordination and specialization: did the Paris Declaration make a difference?,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 149(3), pages 537-563, September.
- Peter Nunnenkamp & Hannes Öhler & Rainer Thiele, 2011. "Donor Coordination and Specialization: Did the Paris Declaration Make a Difference?," Kiel Working Papers 1748, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Fabian Barthel & Eric Neumayer & Peter Nunnenkamp & Pablo Selaya, 2013. "Competition for Export Markets and the Allocation of Foreign Aid: The Role of Spatial Dependence among Donor Countries," Kiel Working Papers 1875, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Ronald B. Davies & Stephan Klasen, 2013.
"Of Donor Coordination, Free-Riding, Darlings, and Orphans: The dependence of bilateral aid on other bilateral giving,"
Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers
137, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Ronald B. Davies & Stephan Klasen, 2013. "Of Donor Coordination, Free-Riding, Darlings, and Orphans: The Dependence of Bilateral Aid on Other Bilateral Giving," CESifo Working Paper Series 4177, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bettina Kretschmer & Michael Hübler & Peter Nunnenkamp, 2010. "Does Foreign Aid Reduce Energy and Carbon Intensities in Developing Countries," Kiel Working Papers 1598, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Aurore Gary & Mathilde Maurel, 2013. "The effect of donors' policy coherence on growth," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 13046, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Andreas Fuchs & Peter Nunnenkamp & Hannes Öhler, 2013. "Why Donors of Foreign Aid Do Not Coordinate: The Role of Competition for Export Markets and Political Support," Kiel Working Papers 1825, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.