Integrating Biofuels into the DART Model
AbstractBiofuels and other forms of bioenergy have received increased attention in recent times: They have partly been acclaimed as an instrument to contribute to rural development, energy security and to fight global warming but have been increasingly come under attack for their potential to contribute to rising food prices. It has thus become clear that bioenergy cannot be evaluated independently of the rest of the economy and that national and international feedback effects are important. In this paper we describe how the CGE model DART is extended to include first-generation biofuel production technologies. DART can now be used to assess the efficiency of combined climate and bioenergy policies. As a first example the effects of a 10% biofuel target in the EU are analyzed
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 1472.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2008
Date of revision:
biofuels; CGE model; climate policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- Q48 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Government Policy
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2009-01-24 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-01-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2009-01-24 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-ENE-2009-01-24 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2009-01-24 (Environmental Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hoefnagels, Ric & Banse, Martin & Dornburg, Veronika & Faaij, André, 2013. "Macro-economic impact of large-scale deployment of biomass resources for energy and materials on a national level—A combined approach for the Netherlands," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 727-744.
- Kretschmer, Bettina & Peterson, Sonja & Ignaciuk, Adriana M., 2009.
"Integrating biofuels into the DART model: Analysing the effects of the EU 10% biofuel target,"
49th Annual Conference, Kiel, Germany, September 30-October 2, 2009
53253, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Kretschmer, Bettina & Peterson, Sonja & Ignaciuk, Adriana M., 2010. "Integrating biofuels into the DART model: Analysing the effects of the EU 10% biofuel target," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 45579, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Kretschmer, Bettina & Narita, Daiju & Peterson, Sonja, 2009. "The economic effects of the EU biofuel target," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 32984, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Thierry Brunelle & Patrice Dumas, 2012. "Can Numerical Models Estimate Indirect Land-use Change?," Working Papers 2012.65, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.