The determinants of allowance prices in the European Emissions Trading Scheme - Can we expect an efficient allowance market 2008?
AbstractThe European emissions trading scheme (EU-ETS) for CO2 is the largest existing emissions trading scheme in the world. The main reason for the implementation of this scheme is to reach the European Kyoto targets at minimal cost and to establish a price for emissions. The right to emit CO2 therefore becomes a scarce production input. In this paper we want to analyze the determinants of the price for allowances in the EU-ETS and study whether it reacts to fundamental influence factors such as energy prices. The results show, that as long as the market viewed the allowances as a scarce input factor, the price reacts to changes in energy prices and weather variations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 1387.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2007
Date of revision:
European Emissions Trading Scheme; allowance prices; energy prices; weather variation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- Q56 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environment and Development; Environment and Trade; Sustainability; Environmental Accounts and Accounting; Environmental Equity; Population Growth
- Q58 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Government Policy
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-12-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2007-12-01 (European Economics)
- NEP-ENE-2007-12-01 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2007-12-01 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marc S. Paoletta & Luca Taschini, 2006. "An Econometric Analysis of Emission Trading Allowances," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 06-26, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Gernot Klepper & Sonja Peterson, 2004.
"The EU Emissions Trading Scheme: Allowance Prices, Trade Flows, Competitiveness Effects,"
Kiel Working Papers
1195, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Gernot Klepper & Sonja Peterson, 2004. "The EU Emissions Trading Scheme. Allowance Prices, Trade Flows, Competitiveness Effects," Working Papers 2004.49, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Gernot Klepper & Sonja Peterson, 2006.
"Emissions Trading, CDM, JI, and More: The Climate Strategy of the EU,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 1-26.
- Gernot Klepper & Sonja Peterson, 2005. "Emissions Trading, CDM, JI, and More – The Climate Strategy of the EU," Working Papers 2005.55, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Klepper, Gernot & Peterson, Sonja, 2006. "Emissions trading, CDM, JI, and more : the climate strategy of the EU," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 3814, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Stefan P. Schleicher & Claudia Kettner & Angela Köppl & Gregor Thenius, 2007. "Stringency and Distribution in the EU Emissions Trading Scheme –The 2005 Evidence," Working Papers 2007.22, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Considine, Timothy J., 2000. "The impacts of weather variations on energy demand and carbon emissions," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 295-314, October.
- Szymon Borak & Wolfgang Härdle & Stefan Trück & Rafal Weron, 2006. "Convenience Yields for CO2 Emission Allowance Futures Contracts," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2006-076, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Ellerman, A. Denny & Montero, Juan-Pablo, 1998. "The Declining Trend in Sulfur Dioxide Emissions: Implications for Allowance Prices," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 26-45, July.
- Liu, Hsiang-Hsi & Chen, Yi-Chun, 2013. "A study on the volatility spillovers, long memory effects and interactions between carbon and energy markets: The impacts of extreme weather," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 840-855.
- Beat Hintermann, 2009. "An Options Pricing Approach for CO2 Allowances in the EU ETS," CEPE Working paper series 09-64, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Anna Creti & Pierre-André Jouvet & Valérie Mignon, 2011.
"Carbon Price Drivers: Phase I Versus Phase II Equilibrium?,"
2011-09, CEPII research center.
- Creti, Anna & Jouvet, Pierre-André & Mignon, Valérie, 2012. "Carbon price drivers: Phase I versus Phase II equilibrium?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 327-334.
- Anna Creti & Pierre-André Jouvet & Valérie Mignon, 2011. "Carbon Price Drivers: Phase I versus Phase II Equilibrium?," Working Papers 1106, Chaire Economie du Climat.
- Kimmo Ollikka & Piia Aatola & Markku Ollikainen, 2012. "Informational Efficiency of the EU ETS market ? a study of price predictability and profitable trading," Working Papers 28, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Marc Gronwald & Janina Ketterer & Stefan Trück, 2011. "The Dependence Structure between Carbon Emission Allowances and Financial Markets - A Copula Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 3418, CESifo Group Munich.
- Beat Hintermann, 2011. "Market Power, Permit Allocation and Efficiency in Emission Permit Markets," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 49(3), pages 327-349, July.
- Emilic Alberola & Julien Chevallier & Benoit Cheze, 2008.
"The EU Emissions Trading Scheme: the Effects of Industrial Production and CO2 Emissions on Carbon Prices,"
CEPII research center, issue 116, pages 93-126.
- Alberola, Emilie & Chevallier, Julien & Chèze, Benoît, 2008. "The EU emissions trading scheme : The effects of industrial production and CO2 emissions on carbon prices," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4223, Paris Dauphine University.
- Hintermann, Beat, 2012. "Pricing emission permits in the absence of abatement," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1329-1340.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.