Beschäftigungskonten für Deutschland
AbstractWe present a proposal for reforming unemployment assistance in Germany through the introduction of unemployment accounts (UAs). Instead of paying taxes that finance the unemployment assistance, employed people make ongoing contributions to their UAs and can make withdrawals from these accounts during periods of unemployment. The aim of this policy proposal is to improve employment incentives without significant changes in the current redistribution scheme. We provide a detailed account of how such a system of UAs can be designed and implemented in Germany. To make the influence of UAs as transparent as possible and to avoid introducing other reforms that may make significant bodies of people worse off, we assume that UAs are integrated within the existing unemployment support system, keeping all institutional rules regarding conditions, duration and size of entitlements as well as interpersonal redistribution unchanged.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 1325.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2007-07-07 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Brown, Alessio J G & Orszag, Mike & Snower, Dennis J., 2006.
"Unemployment Accounts and Employment Incentives,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5692, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alessio J. G. Brown & J. Michael Orszag & Dennis J. Snower, 2006. "Unemployment Accounts and Employment Incentives," Kiel Working Papers 1274, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Brown, Alessio J. G. & Orszag, Mike & Snower, Dennis J., 2006. "Unemployment Accounts and Employment Incentives," IZA Discussion Papers 2105, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eichhorst, Werner, 2007. "Der Arbeitsmarkt in Deutschland: Zwischen Strukturreformen und sozialpolitischem Reflex," IZA Discussion Papers 3194, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dovern, Jonas & Gern, Klaus-Jürgen & Meier, Carsten-Patrick & Oskamp, Frank & Sander, Birgit & Scheide, Joachim & Boss, Alfred, 2007. "Weltkonjunktur und deutsche Konjunktur im Herbst 2007," Kiel Discussion Papers 445/446, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Boss, Alfred & Dovern, Jonas & Meier, Carsten-Patrick & Oskamp, Frank & Scheide, Joachim, 2007. "Deutsche Konjunktur: Aufschwungskräfte behalten die Oberhand," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 4095, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Eichhorst, Werner, 2007. "Von der Frühverrentung zum längeren Erwerbsleben: Transferleistungen, Arbeitsmarktpolitik und Weiterbildung," IZA Discussion Papers 3262, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Wolfgang Ochel, 2009. "Niederlande: Ein neuer Weg zu mehr Flexicurity," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 62(01), pages 58-61, 01.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.