Nonparametric and Semiparametric Evidence on the Long-Run Effects of Inflation on Growth
AbstractIn this paper we adopt both a nonparametric and a semi-parametric IV estimator to show that the relationship between inflation and output growth is non-linear and that there exists a threshold level below which inflation has no effects on growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 1286.
Length: 10 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2006
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Vaona, A. & Schiavo, S., 2007. "Nonparametric and semiparametric evidence on the long-run effects of inflation on growth," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 452-458, March.
- Andrea Vaona & Stefano Schiavo, 2006. "Nonparametric and semiparametric evidence on the long-run effects of inflation on growth," Sciences Po publications No. 1286, Sciences Po.
- Andrea Vaona & Stefano Schiavo, 2005. "Nonparametric and semiparametric evidence on the long-run effects of inflation on growth," Department of Economics Working Papers 0520, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- O49 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Other
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-08-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2006-08-05 (Development)
- NEP-MAC-2006-08-05 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall & A.C. Barton, 1971.
"Inflation and growth: the international evidence,"
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 24(98), pages 263-275.
- Judson, Ruth & Orphanides, Athanasios, 1999.
"Inflation, Volatility and Growth,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(1), pages 117-38, April.
- Michael Sarel, 1996. "Nonlinear Effects of Inflation on Economic Growth," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 43(1), pages 199-215, March.
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur & Herbertsson, Tryggvi Thor, 2001.
"Does inflation matter for growth?,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 405-428, December.
- Pagan,Adrian & Ullah,Aman, 1999.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521355643, December.
- Park, Sangin, 2003. "Semiparametric instrumental variables estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 381-399, February.
- Atish R. Ghosh & Steven Phillips, 1998. "Inflation, Disinflation, and Growth," IMF Working Papers 98/68, International Monetary Fund.
- Stanley Fischer, 1993.
"The Role of Macroeconomic Factors in Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
4565, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- A. Senhadji Semlali & Mohsin S. Khan, 2000.
"Threshold Effects in the Relationship Between inflation and Growth,"
IMF Working Papers
00/110, International Monetary Fund.
- By Mohsin S. Khan & Abdelhak S. Senhadji, 2001. "Threshold Effects in the Relationship Between Inflation and Growth," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(1), pages 1.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 1999.
"A new database on financial development and structure,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2146, The World Bank.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüç-Kunt, A. & Levine, R., 2000. "A new database on financial development and structure," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125518, Tilburg University.
- Max Gillman & Mark N. Harris & László Mátyás, 2004. "Inflation and growth: Explaining a negative effect," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 149-167, January.
- Temple, Jonathan, 2000. " Inflation and Growth: Stories Short and Tall," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 395-426, September.
- Robinson, Peter M, 1988. "Root- N-Consistent Semiparametric Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 931-54, July.
- Andrea Vaona, 2008. "Regional evidence on financial development, finance term structure and growth," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 185-201, February.
- Stephanie Kremer & Alexander Bick & Dieter Nautz, 2013.
"Inflation and growth: new evidence from a dynamic panel threshold analysis,"
Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 861-878, April.
- Stephanie Kremer & Alexander Bick & Dieter Nautz, 2009. "Inflation and Growth: New Evidence From a Dynamic Panel Threshold Analysis," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2009-036, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Kremer, Stephanie & Bick, Alexander & Nautz, Dieter, 2009. "Inflation and growth: new evidence from a dynamic panel threshold analysis," Discussion Papers 2009/9, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Danilo Trupkin & Raul Ibarra, 2011. "The Relationship between Inflation and Growth:A Panel Smooth Transition Regression Approach for Developed and Developing Countries," Documentos de Trabajo/Working Papers 1107, Facultad de Ciencias Empresariales y Economia. Universidad de Montevideo..
- Andrea Vaona, 2006.
"Regional Evidence on the Finance - Growth Nexus,"
Kiel Working Papers
1285, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Henderson, Daniel J., 2008. "A Test for Multimodality of Regression Derivatives with an Application to Nonparametric Growth Regressions," MPRA Paper 8768, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jérôme Creel & Eloi Laurenbt & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007.
"Politiques et performances macroéconomiques de la zone euro : institutions, incitations, stratégies,"
Documents de Travail de l'OFCE
2007-23, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Jérôme Creel & Éloi Laurent & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007. "Politiques et performances macroéconomiques de la zone euro. Institutions, incitations, stratégies," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(3), pages 249-281.
- Eloi Laurent & Jérôme Creel & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007. "Politiques et performances macroéconomiques de la zone euro : institutions, incitations, stratégies," Sciences Po publications NÂ° 2007-23, Sciences Po.
- Isabel Ortiz & Jingqing Chai & Matthew Cummins, 2011. "Identifying Fiscal Space:Options for Social and Economic Development for Children and Poor Households in 184 Countries," Working papers 1108, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy.
- Henderson, Daniel J. & Papageorgiou, Chris & Parmeter, Christopher F., 2008. "Are any growth theories linear? Why we should care about what the evidence tells us," MPRA Paper 8767, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wojciech Charemza & Svetlana Makarova & Imran Shah, 2013. "Making the most of High Inflation," Discussion Papers in Economics 13/01, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Daniel J. Henderson, 2010. "A test for multimodality of regression derivatives with application to nonparametric growth regressions," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(3), pages 458-480.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.