Steuerharmonisierung oder Steuerwettbewerb?
AbstractIt is often proposed that capital income tax rates be harmonized. Otherwise, a “race to the bottom” will occur and lead to governments not being able to perform their usual tasks. However, the development of corporate income tax revenues in relation to GDP does not indicate that a race to the bottom has actually taken place. If tax competition were to become as fierce as some observers seem to fear, this would not at all be disadvantageous. Inefficiencies in the public sector and government expenditures would be reduced, the tax burden would decrease. Tax competition might lead to the adoption of improved tax systems. The danger of an undersupply of public goods is not really a real one. A harmful erosion of the welfare state has not to be expected.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 1178.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2003
Date of revision:
Steuerwettbewerb; Steuerharmonisierung; Steuerwettlauf; Steuern auf „corporate income“; Zinsbesteuerung;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H20 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - General
- H24 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Personal Income and Other Nonbusiness Taxes and Subsidies
- H25 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Business Taxes and Subsidies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416.
- Baldwin, Richard & Krugman, Paul, 2000.
"Agglomeration, Integration and Tax Harmonization,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2630, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Paul Krugman, 2002. "Agglomeration, Integration and Tax Harmonization," NBER Working Papers 9290, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Baldwin; Paul Krugman, 2001. "Agglomeration, Integration and Tax Harmonization," IHEID Working Papers 01-2001, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- David E. Wildasin, 2000.
"Factor Mobility and Fiscal Policy in the EU: Policy Issues and Analytical Approaches,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
344, CESifo Group Munich.
- David E. Wildasin, 2000. "Factor mobility and fiscal policy in the EU: policy issues and analytical approaches," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 15(31), pages 337-378, October.
- Wildasin, David E., 1999. "Factor mobility and fiscal policy in the EU: policy issues and analytical approaches," ZEW Discussion Papers 99-35, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Alfred Boss, 1999. "Do We Need Tax Harmonization in the EU?," Kiel Working Papers 916, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Brennan,Geoffrey & Buchanan,James M., 1980.
"The Power to Tax,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521233293, October.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1997.
"The selection principle and market failure in systems competition,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19854, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1997. "The selection principle and market failure in systems competition," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 247-274, November.
- Wilson, John Douglas, 1999. "Theories of Tax Competition," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 52(n. 2), pages 269-304, June.
- Homburg, Stefan, 2010. "Allgemeine Steuerlehre," EconStor Books, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, number 92547, December.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1997. "Deutschland im Steuerwettbewerb," Munich Reprints in Economics 19833, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Stefan Homburg, 1999. "Competition and Co-ordination in International Capital Income Taxation," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 56(1), pages 1-17, March.
- Siebert, Horst, 2001. "How the EU can move to a higher growth path : some considerations," Kiel Discussion Papers 383, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Boss, Alfred & Rosenschon, Astrid, 2003. "Eine Strategie zum Abbau der Subventionen," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 3250, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Otto H. Jacobs & Ralph Brügelmann & Alfons J. Weichenrieder, 2004. "Sollte die Unternehmensbesteuerung innerhalb der EU harmonisiert werden?," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 57(11), pages 03-10, 06.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.