Driving Forces of Venture Capital Investments in Europe: A Dynamic Panel Data Analysis
AbstractUsing dynamic panel estimations, this paper identifies driving forces of venture capital activity for Western European countries. Driving forces might be the liquidity of stock markets, human capital endowment, and labour market rigidities. The paper shows that these factors do not affect expansion stage investments used as a broader definition of venture capital, while they positively affect early stage investments used as a narrow definition. Thus, the results suggest not only that liquid stock markets play an important role for the development of venture capital markets but also that they are not the only factor that drives venture capital activity. This paper is part of the project European Integration, Financial Systems and Corporate Performance (EIFC) carried out within the European Commission’s specific programme “Improving the Human Research Potential and the Socio-Economic Knowledge Base”. Financial support from the European Union, DG Research (Contract No. HPSE—CT—1999—00039), is gratefully acknowledged. The project homepage is maintained by Dr. Anthony Bartzokas at www.intech.unu.edu/whoswho/index.htm
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 1172.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2003
Date of revision:
venture capital investments; Europe; dynamic panel;
Other versions of this item:
- Schertler, Andrea, 2003. "Driving Forces of Venture Capital Investments in Europe: A Dynamic Panel Data Analysis," EIFC - Technology and Finance Working Papers 27, United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies.
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-04-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2004-04-11 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-ENT-2004-04-11 (Entrepreneurship)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, .
"Investor Protection and Corporate Governance,"
19455, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- James M. Poterba, 1989.
"Venture Capital and Capital Gains Taxation,"
in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 3, pages 47-68
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bottazzi, Laura & Da Rin, Marco, 2002.
"Europe's 'New' Stock Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3521, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeng, Leslie A. & Wells, Philippe C., 2000. "The determinants of venture capital funding: evidence across countries," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 241-289, September.
- Judson, Ruth A. & Owen, Ann L., 1999. "Estimating dynamic panel data models: a guide for macroeconomists," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 9-15, October.
- Black, Bernard S. & Gilson, Ronald J., 1998. "Venture capital and the structure of capital markets: banks versus stock markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 243-277, March.
- Sahlman, William A., 1990. "The structure and governance of venture-capital organizations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 473-521, October.
- Engel, Dirk, 2001.
"Höheres Beschäftigungswachstum durch Venture Capital?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
01-34, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Dirk Engel, 2003. "Höheres Beschäftigungswachstum durch Venture Capital?," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 223(1), pages 1-22.
- Amit, Raphael & Brander, James & Zott, Christoph, 1998. "Why do venture capital firms exist? theory and canadian evidence," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 441-466, November.
- Elisabete Félix & Cesaltina Pires & Mohamed Gulamhussen, 2013.
"The Determinants of Venture Capital in Europe — Evidence Across Countries,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 259-279, December.
- Elisabete Gomes Santana Felix & Cesaltina Pires & Mohamed Azzim Gulamhussenb, 2007. "The Determinants of Venture Capital in Europe - Evidence Across Countries," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2007_01, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Christian Schröder, 2009.
"Financial System and Innovations: Determinants of Early Stage Venture Capital in Europe,"
EIIW Discussion paper
disbei167, Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library.
- Christian Schröder, 2009. "Financial System and Innovations-Determinants of Early Stage Venture Capital in Europe," Schumpeter Discussion Papers sdp09004, Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library.
- Michael Stolpe, 2004. "Europe's Entry into the Venture Capital Business: Efficiency and Policy," Kiel Working Papers 1223, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Groh, Alexander Peter & von Liechtenstein, Heinrich, 2009. "How attractive is central Eastern Europe for risk capital investors?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 625-647, June.
- Groh, Alexander P. & Liectenstein, Heinrich, 2009. "The first step of the capital flow from institutions to entrepreneurs: The criteria for sorting venture capital funds," IESE Research Papers D/795, IESE Business School.
- Groh, Alexander P. & Liechtenstein, Heinrich & Canela, Miguel A., 2008. "Limited partners' perceptions of the Central Eastern European venture capital and private equity market," IESE Research Papers D/727, IESE Business School.
- repec:diw:diwfin:diwfin03050 is not listed on IDEAS
- Groh, Alexander P., 2009. "Private equity in emerging markets," IESE Research Papers D/779, IESE Business School.
- van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno & Romain, Astrid, 2004. "The Determinants of Venture Capital: Additional Evidence," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2004,19, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Francesco Bogliacino & Matteo Lucchese, 2011.
"Access to finance for innovation: the role of venture capital and the stock market,"
JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation
2011-05, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Francesco Bogliacino & Matteo Lucchese, 2011. "Access to finance for innovation: the role of venture capital and the stock market," ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2011(4), pages 165-183.
- Karim Chaabouni, 2011. "Determinants And Legitimacy Of Venture Capital Financing: An Empirical Verification," Anadolu University Journal of Social Sciences, Anadolu University, vol. 11(1), pages 27-38, January.
- José Martí Pellón & Marina Balboa, 2003. "Characterisation Of The Reputation Of Private Equity Managers: Evidence In Spain," Working Papers. Serie EC 2003-16, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Groh, Alexander Peter & von Liechtenstein, Heinrich & Lieser, Karsten, 2010. "The European Venture Capital and Private Equity country attractiveness indices," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 205-224, April.
- Groh, Alexander P. & Liechtenstein, Heinrich & Lieser, Karsten, 2008. "The European venture capital and private equity country attractiveness index(es)," IESE Research Papers D/773, IESE Business School.
- Roland Füss & Denis Schweizer, 2012. "Short and long-term interactions between venture capital returns and the macroeconomy: evidence for the United States," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 38(3), pages 391-410, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.