Price Incentives, Non-Price Factors, and Agricultural Production in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Cointegration Analysis
AbstractThis paper deals with the question of how responsive farmers in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) are to changes in incentives. Employing Johansen's multivariate cointegration approach, it investigates for ten selected SSA countries the long-run effect of pricing policies, macroeconomic distortions, and certain non-price factors on agricultural production. It turns out that Â– in those cases where cointegration relationships are found-estimated supply elasticities tend to lie between 0.20 and 0.50. Among the non-price factors, drought episodes have significantly impaired agricultural growth in six out of ten sample countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 1123.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2002
Date of revision:
Agricultural Supply Response; Cointegration; Sub-Saharan Africa;
Other versions of this item:
- Rainer Thiele, 2003. "Price Incentives, Non‐price Factors and Agricultural Production in Sub‐Saharan Africa: A Cointegration Analysis," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 15(2â3), pages 425-438.
- Thiele, Rainer, 2003. "Price Incentives, Non-Price Factors, And Agricultural Production In Sub-Saharan Africa: A Cointegration Analysis," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25901, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- Q11 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis; Prices
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986.
"Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression,"
Cahiers de recherche
8633, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Mamingi, Nlandu, 1997. "The impact of prices and macroeconomic policies on agricultural supply: a synthesis of available results," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 17-34, March.
- R. L. Voortman & B. G. J. S. Sonneveld & M. A. Keyzer, 2000. "African Land Ecology: Opportunities and Constraints for Agricultural Development," CID Working Papers 37, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Jeroen J.M. Kremers & Neil R. Ericsson & Juan J. Dolado, 1992.
"The power of cointegration tests,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
431, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Dolado, Juan José & Ericsson, N.R. & Kremers, J.J.M., 1992. "The Power of Cointegration Tests," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/3319, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Schiff, Maurice & Montenegro, Claudio E, 1997.
"Aggregate Agricultural Supply Response in Developing Countries: A Survey of Selected Issues,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(2), pages 393-410, January.
- Schiff, Maurice & Montenegro, Claudio E., 1995. "Aggregate agricultural supply response in developing countries : a survey of selected issues," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1485, The World Bank.
- Rainer Thiele, 2002. "The Bias Against Agriculture in Sub-Saharan Africa: Has It Survived 20 Years of Structural Adjustment Programs?," Kiel Working Papers 1102, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- David E. Rapach, 2002. "Are Real GDP Levels Nonstationary? Evidence from Panel Data Tests," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(3), pages 473-495, January.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Rainer Thiele, 2000. "Estimating the Aggregate Agricultural Supply Response: A Survey of Techniques and Results for Developing Countries," Kiel Working Papers 1016, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Marc Nerlove, 1979. "The Dynamics of Supply: Retrospect and Prospect," Discussion Papers 394, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Francesco Caracciolo & Fabio Gaetano Santeramo, 2013.
"Price Trends and Income Inequalities: Will Sub-Saharan Africa Reduce the Gap?,"
African Development Review,
African Development Bank, vol. 25(1), pages 42-54.
- Francesco Caracciolo & Fabio Gaetano Santeramo, 2013. "Price Trends and Income Inequalities: Will Sub-Saharan Africa Reduce the Gap?," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 25(1), pages 42-54, 03.
- Caracciolo, Francesco & Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano, 2012. "Price trends and income inequalities: will Sub-Saharan-Africa reduce the gap?," MPRA Paper 45196, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Olubode-Awosola, O.O. & van Schalkwyk, H.D. & Jooste, A., 2008. "Mathematical modeling of the South African land redistribution for development policy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 841-855.
- Luis Lanteri, 2009. "Response of the Argentine Soybean Sown Area to Prices," BCRA Working Paper Series 200944, Central Bank of Argentina, Economic Research Department.
- Olubode-Awosola, O.O. & Oyewumi, Olubukola Ayodeju & Jooste, Andre, 2006. "Vector error correction modelling of Nigerian agricultural supply response," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 45(4), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.