Europe Â— Quo Vadis? Reflections on the Future Institutional Framework of the European Union
AbstractWith twelve new members the decision making in the European Union via intergovernmental cooperation will become ineffective. In order to avoid a Stagno-Europe the EU has a choice: Either it looks for the very essentials in the common institutional frame or the member states agree in ceding national sovereignty to the European level. This, however, requires that the democratic deficit at the EU level is reduced. The Treaty of Nice has failed to solve these issues.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 1064.
Length: 55 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2001
Date of revision:
European Integration; Enlargement;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D70 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - General
- F00 - International Economics - - General - - - General
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claudia M. Buch & Daniel Piazolo, 2000.
"Capital and Trade Flows in Europe and the Impact of Enlargement,"
Kiel Working Papers
1001, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Piazolo, Daniel, 2001. "Capital and trade flows in Europe and the impact of enlargement," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 183-214, September.
- Heinemann, Friedrich, 2000.
"The political economy of EU enlargement and the Treaty of Nice,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
00-43, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Heinemann, Friedrich, 2003. "The political economy of EU enlargement and the Treaty of Nice," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 17-31, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.