Macroeconomic Constraints on Economic Development and Poverty Reduction: The Case of Bolivia
AbstractBoliviaÂ’s macroeconomic performance in the period 1994 to 1998 is analyzed and compared with the performance in former periods and the performance of other developing countries (grouped according to income, region, and debt status). This allows to assess what has been achieved in Bolivia since the deep crisis of the early 1980s. A special focus is whether the constraints to investment, economic development, and redistribution, i.e. on domestic savings, export performance, and fiscal revenues have been relaxed. Findings suggest an overperformance with respect to stabilization and an underperformance with respect to the growth constraints.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 1060.
Length: 46 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2001
Date of revision:
Stabilization; Macroeconomic Constraints; Economic Development; Bolivia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E65 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Studies of Particular Policy Episodes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bacha, Edmar L., 1990. "A three-gap model of foreign transfers and the GDP growth rate in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 279-296, April.
- Arevilca Vasquez, Bismarck Javier & Risso Charquero, Adrian Winston, 2007.
"Balance of Payments Constrained Growth Model: Evidence for Bolivia 1953-2002,"
5685, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arevilca Vasquez, Bismarck Javier & Risso Charquero, Adrian Winston, 2007. "Balance of payments constrained growth model: evidence for Bolivia 1953-2002," MPRA Paper 5645, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rainer Thiele, 2003.
"The social impact of structural adjustment in Bolivia,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(3), pages 299-319.
- Rainer Thiele, 2001. "The Social Impact of Structural Adjustment in Bolivia," Kiel Working Papers 1056, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.