Labour Supply and Labour Force Participation in Europe � A Discussion of Some Recent Developments and Projections
AbstractThe prospects for labour supply in Europe are considered. The analysis begins with a so-called labour market balance covering the development on an aggregate level. Estimations to shed light on the relation between unemployment and labour force participation are given in the second part of the paper. Detailed analyses of the forces behind the participation rates for individual countries and labour force projections are given. We expect the labour force in Europe to decline during the next years. However, the impact of this development on unemployment is rather limited.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 1049.
Length: 84 pages
Date of creation: May 2001
Date of revision:
Labour Force; Labour Force Participation; Unemployment; Europe.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J0 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General
- J1 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Blundell & Paul Johnson, 1997. "Pensions and Retirement in the UK," NBER Working Papers 6154, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Axel Borsch-Supan & Reinhold Schnabel, 1997.
"Social Security and Retirement in Germany,"
NBER Working Papers
6153, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Didier Blanchet & Louis-Paul Pele, 1997.
"Social Security and Retirement in France,"
NBER Working Papers
6214, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Diamond & Jonathan Gruber, 1997. "Social Security and Retirement in the U.S," NBER Working Papers 6097, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michele Boldrin & Sergi Jimenez-Martin & Franco Peracchi, 1999.
"Social Security and Retirement in Spain,"
in: Social Security and Retirement around the World, pages 305-353
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George J. Borjas & Richard B. Freeman & Lawrence F. Katz, 1991.
"On the Labor Market Effects of Immigration and Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
3761, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George J. Borjas & Richard B. Freeman & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992. "On the Labor Market Effects of Immigration and Trade," NBER Chapters, in: Immigration and the Workforce: Economic Consequences for the United States and Source Areas, pages 213-244 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borjas, G.J. & Freeman, R.B. & Katz, L.F., 1991. "On The Labor Market Effects Of Immigration And Trade," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1556, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Sveinbjörn Blöndal & Stefano Scarpetta, 1999. "The Retirement Decision in OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 202, OECD Publishing.
- Robert Plasman, 1994. "Femmes d'Europe sur le marché du travail," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/156180, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Disney, Richard & Webb, Steven, 1991. "Why Are There So Many Long Term Sick in Britain?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(405), pages 252-62, March.
- Gian Luigi Mazzi & Frédéric Reynès & Matthieu Lemoine & Paola Veroni, 2008.
"Real Time Estimation of Potential Output and Output Gap for the Euro-Area : Comparing Production Function with Unobserved Components and SVAR Approaches,"
Sciences Po publications
2008-34, Sciences Po.
- Matthieu Lemoine & Gian Luigi Mazzi & Paola Monperrus-Veroni & Frédéric Reynes, 2008. "Real time estimation of potential output and output gap for the euro-area: comparing production function with unobserved components and SVAR approaches," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2008-34, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Lemoine, Matthieu & Mazzi, Gian Luigi & Monperrus-Veroni, Paola & Reynes, Frédéric, 2008. "Real time estimation of potential output and output gap for theeuro-area: comparing production function with unobserved componentsand SVAR approaches," MPRA Paper 13128, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2008.
- Fuchs, Johann & Weber, Brigitte, 2010. "Umfang und Struktur der westdeutschen Stillen Reserve : Aktualisierte Schätzungen (Extent and structure of the hidden labour force in Western German)," IAB-Forschungsbericht 201011, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Elke Holst & C. Katharina Spieß, 2004. "The Transition into Work: Specialities for the Hidden Labour Force," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 428, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Benner, Joachim & Borbély, Dóra & Boss, Alfred & Kamps, Annette & Meier, Carsten-Patrick & Oskamp, Frank & Scheide, Joachim & Schmidt, Rainer, 2003. "Deutschland: Stagnation hält vorerst an," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 2984, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.