Distance and International Banking
AbstractIf the technological revolution which has taken place over the past decades has lowered information costs and if information costs increase in distance, distance should Â– ceteris paribus Â– become less important in determining international bank lending. We are using a dataset on assets and liabilities of commercial banks from five countries (France, Germany, Italy, UK, US) in up to 50 host countries for the years 1983 through 1998 to test this hypothesis. For the European banks, distance has remained of the same importance it used to have. For the US, a declining importance of distance was found. Several interpretations of these findings are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Working Papers with number 1043.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2001
Date of revision:
cross-border banking; information costs;
Other versions of this item:
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Portes, Richard & Rey, Hélène, 1999.
"The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2225, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Portes & Helene Rey, 1999. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," NBER Working Papers 7336, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R Portes & H Rey, 2000. "The Determinants Of Cross-Border Equity Flows," CEP Discussion Papers dp0446, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Richard Portes & Hélène Rey, 2001. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," DELTA Working Papers 2001-08, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Enrique G. Mendoza, 1999.
"Regional Contagion and the Globalization of Securities Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
7153, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Mendoza, Enrique G., 2000. "Rational contagion and the globalization of securities markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 79-113, June.
- John H. Boyd & Mark Gertler, 1994.
"Are banks dead? Or are the reports greatly exaggerated?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Sum, pages 2-23.
- John H. Boyd & Mark Gertler, 1994. "Are banks dead? or, are the reports greatly exaggerated?," Working Papers 531, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- John H. Boyd & Mark Gertler, 1995. "Are Banks Dead? Or Are the Reports Greatly Exaggerated?," NBER Working Papers 5045, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Mody, Ashoka, 2000.
"Lending booms, reserves and the sustainability of short-term debt: inferences from the pricing of syndicated bank loans,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 5-44, October.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ashoka Mody, 1999. "Lending Booms, Reserves, and the Sustainability of Short-Term Debt: Inferences from the Pricing of Syndicated Bank Loans," NBER Working Papers 7113, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Mody, Ashoka, 1999. "Lending booms, reserves, and the sustainability of short-term debt - inferences from the pricing of syndicated bank loans," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2155, The World Bank.
- Ahearne, Alan G. & Griever, William L. & Warnock, Francis E., 2004.
"Information costs and home bias: an analysis of US holdings of foreign equities,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 313-336, March.
- Alan G. Ahearne & William L. Griever & Francis E. Warnock, 2000. "Information costs and home bias: an analysis of U.S. holdings of foreign equities," International Finance Discussion Papers 691, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Claudia M. Buch, 1999. "Why Do Banks Go Abroad? � Evidence from German Data," Kiel Working Papers 948, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2000.
"Does Distance Still Matter? The Information Revolution in Small Business Lending,"
NBER Working Papers
7685, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2002. "Does Distance Still Matter? The Information Revolution in Small Business Lending," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2533-2570, December.
- Allen N. Berger & Anil K. Kashyap & Joseph Scalise, 1995.
"The Transformation of the U.S. Banking Industry: What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
96-06, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & Anil K. Kashyap & Joseph M. Scalise, 1995. "The Transformation of the U.S. Banking Industry: What a Long, Strange Trips It's Been," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(2), pages 55-218.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Baier, Scott L. & Bergstrand, Jeffrey H., 2001. "The growth of world trade: tariffs, transport costs, and income similarity," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-27, February.
- Moshirian, Fariborz & Van der Laan, Alex, 1998. "Trade in financial services and the determinants of banks' foreign assets," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 23-38, January.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia, 1998. "Asymmetric Information and the Market Structure of the Banking Industry," IMF Working Papers 98/92, International Monetary Fund.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.