Financial Dollarization and Currency Substitution. An Empirical Study for Bolivia America than in Asia?
AbstractThe Bolivian puzzle is high and persistent financial dollarization notwithstanding deep macroeconomic stabilization that achieved stable and low inflation and the regulations encouraging domestic currency deposits. We analyze traditional and new approaches to explain dollarization in Bolivia. We first assess the currency substitution approach and then assess the empirical evidence for the financial dollarization approach. The results show that the macroeconomic variables capture only partially the phenomenon and a better assessment relies on other explanations such as the peso problem and the analysis of specific characteristics of the financial markets in Bolivia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Kiel Advanced Studies Working Papers with number 432.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2006
Date of revision:
Dollarization; Exchange rate regimes; Inflation; Bolivia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E59 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Other
- G19 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Other
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Calvo, Guillermo & Vegh, Carlos, 1992.
"Currency Substitution in Developing Countries: An Introduction,"
20338, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guillermo Calvo & Carlos A. VÃ©gh Gramont, 1992. "Currency Substitution in Developing Countries - An Introduction," IMF Working Papers 92/40, International Monetary Fund.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2005.
"Financial Dollarisation: Evaluating The Consequences,"
Business School Working Papers
findollarisation, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2006. "Financial dollarization: evaluating the consequences," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 21(45), pages 61-118, 01.
- Eduardo Levy-Yeyati, 2004. "FINANCIAL DOLLARIZATION: Evaluating the consequences," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 184, Econometric Society.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Pablo Guidotti & Carlos A. Rodríguez, 1992.
"Dollarization in Latin America: Gresham's Law in Reverse?,"
CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo.
81, Universidad del CEMA.
- Pablo E. Guidotti & Carlos A. Rodriguez, 1992. "Dollarization in Latin America: Gresham's Law in Reverse?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(3), pages 518-544, September.
- Pablo Emilio Guidotti & Carlos A. Rodriguez, 1991. "Dollarization in Latin America - Gresham's Law in Reverse?," IMF Working Papers 91/117, International Monetary Fund.
- Juan F. Castro & Eduardo Morón, 2005.
"Financial Dollarization and the Size of the Fear,"
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Alain Ize, 1998. "Dollarization of Financial Intermediation: Causes and Policy Implications," IMF Working Papers 98/28, International Monetary Fund.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Juan Antonio Morales Anaya, 2003. "Dollarization of assets and liabilities: Problem or solution?. The case of Bolivia," Revista de Análisis del BCB, Banco Central de Bolivia, vol. 6(1), pages 7-39, June.
- Adolfo Barajas & Armando MÃ©ndez Morales, 2003. "Dollarization of Liabilities: Beyond the Usual Suspects," IMF Working Papers 03/11, International Monetary Fund.
- Melvin, Michael & Ladman, Jerry, 1991. "Coca Dollars and the Dollarization of South America," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 23(4), pages 752-63, November.
- Adam Bennett & Eduardo Borensztein & TomÃ¡s J. T. BaliÃ±o, 1999. "Monetary Policy in Dollarized Economies," IMF Occasional Papers 171, International Monetary Fund.
- Ize, Alain & Yeyati, Eduardo Levy, 2003. "Financial dollarization," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 323-347, March.
- Eduardo Moron & Juan F. Castro, 2003. "Dedollarizing the Peruvian Economy," Macroeconomics 0312005, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.